7.

The warm summer air wakes me up around ten in the morning

The warm summer air wakes me up around ten in the morning. I feel a huge amount of relief when I notice that I'm rested and way better than last night. I feel around the bed for Jace right away, almost scared that he's gone. I startle a little when my hand grazes his leg and I look up to see him wide awake next to me, scrolling away on his phone. "Good morning" I mumble.

Before I can pull my hand away, Jace lays his in mine gently. "Hey, morning" he answers in a groggy voice. He probably hasn't been up for too long either. I look at his face and can tell that he's not feeling too great. He has huge bags under his eyes, and a little stubble is noticeable on his usually clean shaved face. He's probably some sort of hungover. 

"How are you?" I ask him quietly, wanting to hear how he's feeling from himself.

"Been better" he says, in his raspy voice still. I sit up before rubbing my eyes briefly. Awkward tension fills the air for some reason. What a night. 

Jace's phone buzzes furiously, before either of us can say anything. "Sorry, that's Austin. Mind if I take that really quickly?" he asks me, already lifting the covers to head to the bathroom.

"No, go ahead" I tell him, taking that time to check my phone myself. I need to tell mom and Bree that I'm moving back in with Jace. I know that Bree will be supportive, and I'm glad I've never told my mom any details. She'll be just as happy as my best friend. For now, I just want to enjoy the moment and see where this leads us, without talking to them first. If Jace spills to Austin, then Bree will know what happened anyway.

Minutes later, Jace reappears from the bathroom with a slight smile on his face. I wonder what him and his best friend talked about, but can only imagine that he told him about the good news of me moving back in with him. He sits himself down next to me on the bed again.

"Do you want to go pick your stuff up from your mom's house today?" he asks me, and I can hear it in his voice that he's trying to make sure I'm still moving in after all.

"Yeah, that sounds good" I answer, putting my phone down to give him all of my attention.

"Good. I'm really glad that you agreed to stay" he says, his hand finding its way onto my thigh like it used to. It feels natural, and I don't mind one bit.

"Me too" I reassure him, too scared to return his touch. Why are you acting this way around him, Mila? It's just Jace.

"What's on your mind?" Jace asks me, noticing my strange behaviour right away.

"Nothing in particular" I answer honestly. "I guess I'm just constantly wondering about our future and what it holds for us" I add, laying my hand on his after all.

"Yeah, I get it. Despite everything that's happened, I'm excited for it, you know?" Jace answers back. 

"Me too. I guess the first step helping you get better again, before we start working on being us" I answer gently, trying not to hurt his feelings.