Chapter 5 - Aftermath

The defenders of Italica were frozen in fear and bewildered by the scene happening in front of them. How could they have reacted differently? After all, they were witnessing a massacre that would go down in history. Of how a single human, no, a single being, pushed back an entire army.
Blood was splattered everywhere the giant went, only living broken bodies and severed limbs in his wake. Only the most crazed of men were still charging at him, even the fools had the rare intelligence of running away from the scene. But it was hard to escape the surprisingly fast soldier. A young boy dropped his spear and fell on his knees, begging for the giant to spare him. A mere second later, his decapitated head was sent flying against a wall, breaking whatever part of the skull that had not been crushed by the initial punch of the Space Marine.

Princess Piña and the rest of the militia leaders were in just as much shock as everyone else. To see a battle by a single man, it was unheard of. Even the kings of old could never have hoped to best so much men at the same time. Some had trouble to even stand still, terrified by the help of their new "friend". Piña however, still stood strong. Was it because her legs refused to move or because of a wave of relief that they had pushed back the invaders from the gate? Even she could not tell. Her brain ws conflicted between several emotions, but she now knew that no matter what. She needed to stay in the good grace of this Imperium. If this was the might of one warrior, she could only fear what an army would do. But even if the battle end might have been sealed, the fighting was not done however.

From beneath her in the street, the roaring of engines made itself clear as imperial vehicles made their way as close as they could before letting the guardsmen disembark. Rushed footsteps finally arrived at the scene of the chaos. Piña admired the green uniforms rushing in with both awe, admiration, and fear. Were they not shocked by this display of violence?

"-Caleb: On the wall men! Give the space marine covering fire! Silas, Wiloma, you clear the west wall. Mattius, Elias, you two clear the east. Go!"

The soldiers rushed toward the stairs and soon enough they were on the wall, with only the splattered remains of the poor souls who were exploded by Esmote bolter shots to keep them company. The three different group quickly went to work. The guardsmen taking aim and drowing the sea of fleeing soldiers in red lashots, often killing without effort.
Despite being known as the humble weapon of the gigantic army that was the Imperial Guard, the Lasgun was still a formidable weapon. It may lack the firepower of a bolter, or the holiest of blessings given onto war machines. But it was still a reliable weapon when massed, and against the ignorant savages of this world, it was more than enough to transform this massacre into a proper slaughter. Those who were not immediatly shot down tripped over their dead comrades as the tide of men numbers started to dwindle.
While it was true that the Lasgun was not a reliable weapon when it came to the accuracy, and the guardsmen were not the best shooters of the Imperium, against such a number of people, aiming was not required.

The two pairs charged with clearing the walls simply advanced, picking their targets from afar and rapidly shooting down the confused soldiers who had only heard the screams and shots from afar. Wiloma had been disgusted by the scene left behind by the Blood Angel, but she had been among those who were charged with clearing the remains of the inital assault against the Imperium positions when they first came into this world. She had started to become accustomed to the sight and smell of those broken bodies. Silas was another story, it was the first time he ever took part in an actual fight as a Whiteshield. He had avoided to look at the broken corpses, for fear of his stomach giving up, and instead focused on his mission.

The man face exploded as Silas aimed true, splashing cauterized brain matter on the bandit uniform, the wall had been secured with ease, the enemies didn't even have time to get in range to use their primitive weapons.
He rested his weapon as he looked beyond the wall. What had once been a fertile and peaceful meadow had turned red, covered by hundreds of bodies.
The rest of the bandit army had fled, Silas could not help but wonder what they would do next, having attracted the ire of both the Imperium, and of the locals. Would they unite once more and attack undefended villages? Or would they try their chance and get back into their previous armies? Silas would have hated to be in their position.