Dear Scout, (Prologue)

The ink-dipped pen scratched against the paper, leaving marks behind. The marks on the paper formed words and read out "dear scout,". Tears stained the pages as the person writing them sobbed. They weren't sure if they even had the heart to write out this letter. The desk they sat at was littered with crumpled papers and tissues. The sun peaked through the curtains as birds started to sing when the sun started to rise.

    There was a soft knock on the door, that was left unanswered. The ink-dipped pen left the paper a mess as it released ink. Heavy pressure was applied to the paper, causing it to dent and letting the ink bleed through the page. The Ink feathered out on the paper as more and more ink was added to the page. Soon the letter had unreadable words as they were feathered out and covered in ink. The letter had lost its value to the person.

    The person sighed and let go of the pen, letting it roll out of their hand and onto the desk. They laid their head down on the desk and rolled pen back and forth. They didn't seem to mind the ink staining their sleeves. Another knock was heard from the door and this time a sweet, yet concerning voice could be heard from the other side. "...y......are..you alright there partner?" A muffled voice came from the other side of the door. The man at the desk perked up a bit and looked at the door.

    His ears rung a bit, which he found annoying. He put his hand over his ear. He picked up his pen and dipped it in the ink. He quickly scribbled words on the paper. The man stood up and slid the paper under the door. You could hear a soft grunt as the man on the other side of the door picked up the paper. "Are you sure....y" Engineers voice was laced with concern.

    The man scribbled on another paper and slid it under the door again. They sat back down, waiting for engineer's response. Soon a voice came from the other side of the door. "Alright, I'll be back later than to check up on ya" Footsteps could be heard as engineer walked away and soon became silent. A small 'ok' came from the man. He looked at his desk and used his arm to swipe all of the papers off of his desk.

    A small sigh came from him as his eyes met that of a button, which was bright blue. His eyes filled with tears and he laid his head down on the desk and sobbed. The sobbing eventually quieted down and small sniffles replaced them. The man's eyes slowly closed as he grew tired. He fell asleep at the desk, gently holding onto small, metal tags....