Chapter 1

The cities are a mystery and so are its people . Joy and sorrow are the two faces of the same serpent. This serpent does not bite. It suffocates you slowly and then swallows you completely.
No one can free himself from its clutches.
It is a shackle that binds us all.

Madurai, 2003

Ratneshwari was a 23 year old girl. She lived with her parents and an elder brother named Krishna.

She had completed her M.A in Tamil literature a few months ago. She was a brilliant student. Her father was a lawyer and her mother was a housewife. Her brother was a lecturer.

It was a sunny day. Ratneshwari was quite happy. She was sitting on a chair reading the Kannada novel 'Vamshavrukhsa'. She thought, "Do people really live like this? I have never met anyone with so many problems in their lives. I don't want any trouble. Just a happy and simple life."

Just then, she heard a voice. It was her brother.

"My dear sister,  I have something to tell you."

"What's that?"

"We are planning to marry you off. Appa told me that the groom's family will come to see you today."

"Whaaaaaat? Well, I don't have any problem with marriage. But, it is happening suddenly. By the way, have you seen the boy?"

"No, I haven't seen him. Appa told me that he works as a police officer in Chennai. His mother lives in Vellore. His father was a good friend of Appa. He died last year."

"What's the name of the boy?"

"Shivan"

"Nice name."

"Marriage is wonderful. It is a bond between two souls. Ratneshwari, you never had any close friend. I was your brother and best friend. But after your marriage, your husband will be your best friend. He will be the person you can rely on. Give him lots of love and always keep him happy."
(Krishna wiped his tears)

"You are missing Anni, right?"

"You only miss those people who are away. I don't miss her. Geetha never left. She lives in my heart."

"If Anni hadn't died, she would have been so delighted today."