Chapter 11 - Dinner

An email popped up on my screen, and it was from Mr. Graham. Since I still didn't have a new phone, this was the only way to contact me, which was a bit troublesome.

[Tell that Mad Artist to come to the dinner. He has to come, or else we are all going to be in trouble, you got that? We are only having this dinner because of him, so if he doesn't show up, then the principal is going to kill all of us.]

Why did this feel wrong? It felt like I was setting him up for something... But I'm sure he wouldn't listen to me either.

"Winter, do you want to join the work dinner? It's next Friday."

Winter put his phone down, looking at me with the same smile. Suddenly, I remembered reading the article about Director Lawrence's new opening for an exhibition that night.

"Will you go to your father's opening?"

"I'm not going to the opening."

"...I'm sorry. I was being insensitive."

How could I forget his father had suspended all his activities relating to art? Why did I need to remind him? It was so stupid of me. If Winter was to show up to his father's opening ceremony, it would just stir up more drama for the media to wring out.

"Even if he suspended me from my activities, I would go if I wanted to anyway. What would that man do?" Winter asked, and a short laughter escaped his lips.

"Murder me?"

After his last sentence, the more carefully one examined his grinning face, the more an indescribable, unspeakable horror crept all over one's spine.

You see that it was actually not a smiling face at all. No human being could smile the same way he did. It was an adroit little smile and nothing more than the concept of a smile pasted on the surface of his face.

When he spoke of murder, it utterly lacked any hints of his usual manner of playfulness. Instead, a heavy weight reigned in his eyes that held elusive complexities of seriousness.

He broke out into laughter that tears soaked the corner of his eyes. "I'm joking. He won't be able to kill me that easily. Are you going to go to the dinner?"

"I have another appointment after three, so I'm not sure if I will be able to make it."

"When is your appointment?"

"At 5:30."

"If you aren't going, then I won't go."

Mr. Graham twisted his head slightly, and his glare stabbed me like thousands of needles pricking my skin.

"You should go... the teachers would love to have you there since it's also similar to a welcoming party. It would be sad if you didn't go."

"Then tell me, who would be upset?" Winter asked.

My head blanked out. I hated myself to the core. Winter knew the way he was perceived by the people here, yet I kept on pushing him and speaking such false words that even he knew were lies.

All I could say at that moment was, "Me. I would be upset."

Winter raised his brows, completely not expecting what I had just blurted out as a silence loomed above our heads.

"...You?"

"I can't go, because if I depart from the hospital to the restaurant, it will be 8 already. Can't you go... in my place? Let's just say you can do this as repayment for my phone. Surely, you hadn't forgotten about that?"

"Hospital?"

I nodded.

Winter didn't respond and pondered in silence but was still facing me.

"I don't want to repay you like that. How far is the hospital?" Winter asked as the corner of his lips raised, forming a grin of mischief. "If you can make it, then will you go?"

"Yes. But I don't have a car."

"Alright. Then I'll drive you. That means we can both be there, right?"

"...What?"