San Diego

Jamie and Mom started the drive to San Diego. 

Stef

Mariana was nervous in the backseat. 

"Nick is riding with Jamie and Callie. Everything's gonna be fine, love." 

"But is Nick gonna be fine?" 

"Why don't you call him again, Sweetheart? See if he's okay. Let him know we're heading there right now." 

"Okay." 

"Okay. Great." 

"Well, it's gonna make her feel better." Lena whispered to me. 

"And possibly him too if he's freaking out." 

Nick

I had taken the "M" necklace since Mom didn't want it. 

My phone rang again. 

I answered it. 

"Mariana?" 

"Um... We're on our way there. Just wanted to make sure everything is fine." 

"Yeah." 

"Do not tip Stratos off that we're coming. Because Callie's boyfriend got a warrant for his arrest. Your ranting to me actually helped."

"Well, I'm glad I was able to help somehow." 

"Yeah. We'll figure everything out when we get you to LA, alright?" 

"Okay." 

"Alright. We'll be there soon." 

"Okay." 

She hung up. 

Jamie

Callie was watching the trees pass. 

"Man, I've been waiting for the perfect chance to punch this man in the face." 

"Callie." 

"What? He shoved Mariana and got Jude pepper-sprayed in the eyes. I'm gonna make sure it hurts too." 

I laughed. 

Lawyers also had the authority to arrest people if they have probable cause. 

I have more than probable cause. 

I had enough evidence to get a warrant. 

She smiled at me. 

I smiled at Callie. 

"And... Um... Don't mention Jesus either. They didn't part on good terms either." 

"What the hell happened?" 

"Jesus and him got into a fight when he thought he was gonna hurt her. When they were just sitting on the grass, talking." 

"Oh." 

"And then Nick punched Jesus in the forehead, knocking him out. It was because of a nail in his head that he had removed a couple weeks prior. He had a TBI. It took five years for him to fully recover from it. And don't tell Jesus I told you either. Or act like I told you. That means don't look at him like he's wounded. He's not. Not anymore, at least." 

"Got it." 

"He'll be so mad if he finds out I told you." 

"He's not going to. I promise." 

I grabbed her hand in mine. 

We held hands over the middle console. 

Callie interlocked our fingers.