Chapter 30: The Liars

All I felt was dread as I climbed out of bed that morning. Tommy had gone at some point in the night. The pillow still smelled of him though I couldn't be sure if it was truly there or my imagination playing tricks on me. My face burned with the memories of the night before and my heart raced as I remembered all the times before. 

Thoughts of dancing in St Peter's Square were particularly elating. Humming along to the distant music of the annual gala, jumping around to an upbeat classical song like it was a pop song, sneaking away when we heard the adults coming, and chasing each other around the obelisk and fountains. Two kids, seven and eight years old, dressed to the nines just like the adults we wanted to be. 

I thought of the day I walked out of school and Tommy was sitting in the passenger seat of the family car. I remember noticing him first, even before I registered my father sitting in the driver's seat instead of my mom. I thought for sure I was hallucinating until Laura squeezed me in a bone crunching hug. 

I let the memories consume me until I was knocked from my thoughts by a caller at the door. Laura was still snoring in the room's other bed when I crept across the cold stone floors to answer the door. 

"Good morning, Lia." It was Giovanna at the door. It was only nine in the morning and the poor woman was already back here at work. 

"Morning," I smiled at her, "It's time?" 

"Yes, Father Ivan is waking the others now."

"Thank you." 

I shut the door as Giovanna set off down the hall, her pristine patent leather heels clicking, the echo bouncing around on the stone walls and pillars. 

"Laura, time to get up." I shook her shoulder. 

"Stop!" she whined as she rolled over 

"You stop, we've got to get ready."

"You get ready, it'll only take me a few minutes." she mumbled through her pillow.

I threw a pillow from my bed at her as I got started making my own bed, "Come on, Laura!"

"Géi fort!" 

"Since when do you speak Luxembourgish?" I threw another pillow at her and she sat up. 

"Since Theo taught me a few words. His grandmother is from Luxembourg." Laura rolled out of bed and onto the floor. She spread out like she was making a snow angel and enjoyed the chill. 

"And he's told you to go away?" I laughed.

"No, his sister trained their puppy in with Luxembourgish commands. That's how they tell him to go lay down." 

"Nice." 

We continued to chat as we made our beds and put on some clean clothes. I'd have to ask Uncle Leo where the laundry room was. I was nearly out of clean clothes. 

When we arrived at Uncle Leo's office, the boys were all gathered around a table by the open balcony doors. Light and a soft breeze poured in and I suddenly wished I'd brought shorts. It was warm and humid here compared to England. I wished I could enjoy it. 

"Buongiorno, amori," Uncle Leo kissed Laura and I on the cheek and wrapped each of his arms around our shoulders, "Come sit, we have a nice breakfast before we talk business."

Neither Laura or I argued as he guided us to the two empty seats at the table. On one side we sat with Tommy, and the rest of the boys sat across from us. 

It seemed too early to me, but there were already so many tourists milling about in the square below us. Their steps and chatter were the perfect white noise for our peaceful breakfast.