Summertime Sadness

Summary: Inspired by Lana Del Rey's song, Summertime Sadness shows how Nakia soothes her sadness and jealousy after T'Challa marries his wife, Naomi.

Words: 3.1k

~~~

Nakia looked in the mirror, examining the cowl neck, wine-red satin dress she adorned for the nightclub. She usually wore green to represent her tribe, but tonight, she wanted to do something different. Bold. Make a change. After all, isn't change good? It's essential for one's growth.

After spending the last two months on missions outside of the Wakandan borders, she realized she needed time for herself. As much as she loved working in the fields and taking down criminals, Nakia needed a good balance of work and play. All work and no play makes a cranky Nakia–at least that's what Kya says. Tonight, she would have drinks with a friend, dance the night away, and maybe meet a gentleman.

While Nakia made sure her hair, jewelry, and makeup were just right, a knock sounded at her bedroom door before it opened to reveal her baby sister.

"Juleka's here."

"Tell her I'll be right down." As Nakia applied red lipstick, she felt her sister's narrowed eyes on her. "What?"

"Nothing."

Nakia replaced the cap on her lipstick tube. "Listen, I know Juleka isn't your favorite person, but she could use a friend right now. Her parents' divorce is taking a toll on her."

"Nakia, if you want to be friends with snakes, that's on you."

She sighed, even though she saw this coming. Juleka was more of a frenemy to Nakia. She wasn't always pleasant to get along with, but she was available, and Nakia would look pathetic if she went out alone. Kya was never fond of Juleka, not even when they were pre-teens. At twelve, three-year-old Kya took it upon herself to throw a block at Juleka's head and blew a raspberry. Nakia scolded her for it, but her omncinci (little one) called Juleka an inyoka (snake) before their mother took Kya to run errands with her.

"It's just dancing and drinks," she explained to Kya, not that she needed to. "Nothing more, nothing less."

"You and I both know she's not the one that needs a friend. You're still not over T'Challa marrying Naomi."

Nakia rolled her eyes. "That was three months ago. I'm over it."

"I don't believe you, but okay." With that said, Kya left the room.

The eldest shook her head while grabbing a matching pair of heels. "She's too young to understand."

~~~

Club Aurora was on fire with the hottest Gqom jams. Queen of Dance's Woza played throughout the entire club and Nakia's hips swayed to the beat. The music had her feeling so good that she had to remove her shoes because they were hindering her.

Juleka tried to keep up with her, but she didn't possess the same skills as the River Tribe princess, so she rolled her eyes and stopped dancing. "I don't feel like dancing anymore."

Nakia gave her friend a sweet smile. "Drinks at the bar?"

"Now, you're talking. Besides, I wore this dress to pick up men."

The pair shared a laugh and made their way to the bar.

"I'll take a White Russian," Nakia ordered while putting her shoes back on.