Chapter 9

He's a Warlord too?! I stared at the man in shock. He was as tall as Moria was, wearing black and white clothing that had paw prints on it, and a hat with ears. I also noticed he held a book in his hand. The Bible?

"The government considers you a valued weapon in their arsenal of goons, but I can't say I share their admiration. I don't know what you're plotting but I'm sure that I won't like it." Moria blabbed on, staring Kuma down.

"If you were to take a vacation, where would you want to go?" Kuma questioned, ignoring Moria's rant.

Moria had a look of boredom on his face, turning away from Kuma. "Come now, do I look like a fool? I'm fully cognizant of the powers you possess, alright?" He started walking away from Kuma. "Get to the point, did you come here to fight me or what? Speak your business. Why have you gone to the trouble of seeking me out?"

"I'm here to deliver a report." He simply stated.

"Well, let's hear it." Moria ushered him to continue.

"As you know, Crocodile has been removed from his post as one of the Seven Warlords. It's been decided who will replace him." I remember hearing about that. I thought back to a conversation I overheard a while back.

"Keshishishi! Why didn't you say so?" He questioned rhetorically as he stood on the balcony. "And who have they chosen as his successor? There are hords of pirates that would kill for the job."

"You might not have even heard of him. His name is Mashall D. Teach. Also commonly known by the name of Blackbeard." Kuma informed. D? I remember mom introducing me to a man she worked with that had D. in his name.

...
12 Years ago

"Mommy!" I shouted, running towards the docks, where a ship was stationed.

Mom, who was walking off the ramp, turned to me and smiled. "(Y/N), come here!" She held her arms out.

I ran to her, giggling, and jumped into her awaiting arms. She picked me up, wrapping an arm underneath me to keep me up as I wrapped my legs around her torso.

"Oh, (M/N). Who's the little runt you got there?"

She turned around to the voice. "Oh, this is my daughter." She then turned her attention to me. "(Y/N), there is someone I'd like you to meet."

"Who is it, mommy?" I questioned, curious.

She turned back to the man, who now stood in front of us. "This little girl here, is (Y/N). And (Y/N), this is Monkey D. Garp, he is an Admiral of the Marines." She gestured to the man.

I glanced at the man that wore a dog cap on his head, tilting my head. "Is he a dog?"

The man let out a laugh. "I like this kid!" He calmed down, pulling the cap off his head, allowing me to see a man with Dark hair and a scar along his eye. "Nice to meet you, (Y/N). I'm Garp."

I stared at the man, confused. "So, you're not a dog?"

He chuckled again, shaking his head. "No, not a dog, just a hat. Anywho, how old are ya?"

"I'm five!" I yelled, throwing up my hand, to show the number 5.

"Five, huh? You're the same age as my grandson." He pondered the thought, thinking about the boy. He smirked at the little girl. "And what do you want to be when you grow up?"

I was silent for a minute, "I... I don't know. I want to go on an adventure it sounds fun, right?"

He stared at me, not saying anything like he was contemplating something, before ruffling my hair. "Sure does! Make sure you go on one for me, okay? Since I'm in the Marines, I work too much to do so myself!"

"Boo! That sounds boring!" I shouted, the two laughing at me. "I don't want to be a Marine!"

"(Y/N)!" Her mother gasped in shock, worried about how her daughters exclaim would affect her superior.

Garp fell to the ground, clutching his stomach, laughing. "Haha! Yep, you sound just like him!"

...

"Blackbeard, huh?" Moria questioned out, pondering. "You're right, I don't know him."

"He was a member of Whitebeard's fleet, second division. He's only recently proven his abilities that led to this point." Kuma went silent for a moment, before he continued. "I suppose the news hasn't reached these foggy waters yet, but his powers have raised a great deal of commotion throughout the world."

"Have they?" Moria finally spoke up, intrigued. "What was the original bounty on his head?"

"Zero." Kuma stated plainly.

"How impressive. A total unknown." Moria mused. "I'm surprised that the government approved him for the job. Keshishishi! They're probably happy they managed to find someone to fill the spot so quickly. I expect that this is supposed to restore the balance of power or whatever, right?"

"Perhaps. But if I were to place a bet, I would say the exact opposite. Nevermind that, though." Kuma waved off. "There is an issue we must discuss. Something the World Government is anxious about. After the catastrophic events at Enies Lobby, they're more concerned than ever about the movements of the Straw Hat Pirate Crew."

The Straw Hats? Why them?

"If they're following the Log from Water 7, headed toward Fishman Island, there is a high probability that they will find their way here. If that's the case, then I'm sure you can understand what the World Government is worried about." Kuma insinuated. "It's the balance of power. The government is concerned the Straw Hats will take out another one of the Seven Warlords. That would be most unfortunate."

Moria grabbed hold of Kuma's shirt. "You better be joking. Do they think I'm not up to the job?" He fumed, enraged. "I've never been so insulted in my life! They sent you here to protect me against those pathetic nobodies?"

"If you think my assistance could benefit you, I'd be happy to help if you but ask." Kuma replied calmly, not at all affected by Moria's anger.

"Just who the hell do you think you're talking to, you bastard?!" Moria snapped, shouting in Kuma's face. "Have you even seen their crew? A bunch of crackpots led by a rubber doll! And you honestly don't think that I can handle them?"

"No battle is 100% guaranteed. Do you know what transpired at Enies Lobby?" Kuma asked him. "No unexpected Rob Lucci to lose. And I'm sure he wasn't expecting it either."

"Let me see if I get this straight. The government's so scared of the Straw Hats that they want to pit two of the Seven Warlords against them? Huh?" Moria asked, raising a brow at the man.

"They only sent me here to warn you. I was given no specific orders to offer you any assistance." Kuma stated simply.

"Then I recommend you stay out of my damn way, buddy." Moria pointed at him. "And if they want some kind of report, you can tell 'em this. This Straw Hat that's got the government soiling their britches, I've already dealt with him! That means I stole his shadow and made it a part of my zombie army! Keshishishi!"

———
Published: 04/27/2022
Updated: 06/06/2023