Annick Press

Annick Press is an independent, children's book focused publisher based in Toronto, Canada. They specialize in publishing fiction and non fiction for both children and young adults. 

Annick was founded in 1975 by Rick Wilks and Anne Millyard. Their company was built with the focus on "literature for youth that reflects the world of the contemporary child." Annick encourages critical thinking and strongly believes in the development of a child's inner resources. 

One of the popular children's books they have published is "The Paper Bag Princess" by world famous author Robert Munsch. 

Annick strives to create educational and creative books that will help children learn important life lessons while also having fun. 

Annick Press is currently accepting submissions of picture books, middle grade fiction, YA fiction, and non-fiction for kids of all ages. They encourage creators who identify as LGBTQ2SIA+, Indigenous, Black, and people of color to submit their work. They also encourage submissions from creators living with disabilities. 

You can also take a look at their current catalog to see if your manuscript would be a good fit for them!

For picture books, they are looking for child centered stories that tap into deeper issues and emotions which appeal well to kids. They prefer to receive manuscript alone, without illustrations. For length, 32 pages and no more than 1000 words. Submit: Full manuscript, and cover letter.

For middle grade fiction, humor is an asset. They're looking for stories that invoke deep thoughts and reflection. For length, around 20,000 to 40,000 words. Submit: First chapter, synopsis and cover letter.

For YA fiction, Annick is looking for distinctive contemporary voices that wrestle with big issues that matter to teens. Particularly, dramatic and powerful stories. For length, 50,000 to 70,000 words. Submit: First chapter, synopsis and cover letter. 

For submissions, please submit them to this email: submissions @ annickpress.com

The Annick Press Mentorship Program: 

Launched in January 2021, this program is to support the works of emerging writers who's access to publishing has been limited. If accepted, you will be paired with one of Annick's in-house editors. 

Taken directly from Annick's website, here is what they are looking for: 

- Original writing projects that are a potential fit with Annick's list.

- Works-in-progress, including picture books, novels for middle readers or young adults, and children's non-fiction. We are excited to work with you on developing your project for potential publication, and we don't expect a polished, final draft for the purposes of the application.

- We are seeking applications from writers whose perspectives have historically been excluded from children's publishing. This includes but is not limited to LGBTQ2SIA+ writers, Black writers, Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers living with disabilities, and anyone living at the intersections of these identities. 

- Canadian writers (citizens or permanent residents) who are 18 and older. 

- Emerging writers (one book or fewer published or under contract to be published in North America). Authors with more than one self-published book are eligible for this program. If you have published more than one book in a completely unrelated field, ie. biology textbooks, you may still be eligible.

To apply, fill out the form below and include a short sample of a work in progress: 

https://www.annickpress.com/content/download/39779/543797/file/Annick_Mentorship_Application_December_2021.pdf