VII. Izakaya

*Spotify playlist for the chapter, brought to you by @_anasta : Red Royal Flush on Spotify

"Is something the matter?"

"No. Keep walking." 

Tanjiro sighed at Zenitsu's harsh tone. 

Ever since the blond had joined him, his response had only been consisting of two-words answers. Not that the prince particularly yearned to become the exile's best friend anyway, but his patience was running thin, and Zenitsu's attitude was slowly starting to get on his nerves.

Zenitsu could notice it, but didn't do anything against it. He needed to act normal so that the prince wouldn't question his sudden uneasiness. 

And, well: pettiness was the closest thing to normality that he had.

My heart's beating too fast... he sighed, closing his eyes to calm down.

He tried to focus on his surroundings: the sounds of gravel crunching under his shoes, giant kites crying in the distance, leaves rustling ceaselessly. 

But the screeching reminiscence of his discussion with the weaver overcame every single one of them.

"Whatever it takes, you will have to kill the prince."

It was pointless. His worries had turned him deaf.

"Is my presence bothering you?" Nezuko piped up. 

Zenitsu opened his eyes, meeting the princess's bright pink gaze. He felt naked in front of it.

"I'm sure that really isn't the problem," Tanjiro chuckled, noticing Zenitsu's faint blush.

Zenitsu didn't like that feeling. 

"Well..." His voice trailed off, unsure about how he was supposed to formulate his thoughts. "I was not expecting Your Imperial Highness to come with us." 

Nezuko raised an eyebrow. "Oh, and why didn't you?"

"Hum... From my personal experience — and my experience only — princesses don't usually meddle with violence." 

"Oh sorry," Nezuko simply retorted, pressing her lips tightly together. 

"Oh, you don't have to be so-"

"Sorry your education wasn't enough to teach you that women usually have to cope with violence each day. Considering how foolish men's impulses are, this country would have been torn down to pieces had we not existed. "

Zenitsu's mouth fell wide open, but no distinguishable words came out.

Tanjiro chuckled again. You're not too good at seducing girls, Zenitsu, he mouthed, nudging the blond playfully.

Zenitsu scowled, gritting his teeth. Well then go for it, if you're so good. Show me how skilled you are!

Sorry, unlike most nobles, incest isn't really my thing.

Do it with someone else, you idiot... 

"You know I can see you both, right?" Nezuko sighed. "Lip-reading isn't a special skill, you idiots."

Holding back their laughter, the two boys quickly muttered an apology to the princess, before concentrating on the path ahead. But as they glanced at each other simultaneously —blame the heat, blame the situation, as you wish — their lips couldn't stifle their laughter anymore. 

Nezuko rolled her eyes as laughing fits soon echoed throughout the whole valley; maybe even beyond.

Zenitsu's face brightened. Maybe anyone can hear my laughter? he thought with a broad smile. His eyes closed as he relished the sound of his laugh resounding throughout the area.