05. Trust

(A/n: This chapter has edits from when it was originally published on March 29th 2022)

Trust is a rare thing for most people to have in one another. It is also hard to earn and give to others. This was my case when I met those humans so long ago. It was simple with the turtles due to them being similar to me in the sense of often being judged, but that wasn't enough for me to be open with them. When it came to April and Casey, I found myself turning my walls of stone into steel. Human's have always been judgemental creatures, both to those who weren't human and those who were. They fear what they do not understand and often want something they can't understand to simply disappear.

That was always my experience with humans at the time, they always judged my family because they didn't understand how a demon and a human could love each other and feared what a half-demon was capable of. A large burn, animalistic fangs and claws, along with enhanced senses often have me trouble. My burn becomes uncomfortable in the mornings, I can't count the times my fangs and claws have accidentally cut me, and my enhanced senses lead to... interesting discoveries. We do not ask to born a certain way, nor do we ask to be born. Humans have a tendency to ignore this fact, and proceed to continue their judgment. I realize that not all humans are like this. Tanjiro Kamado, along with his friends, are examples of humans who are willing to listen, understand, and accept the way my family and I am.

During this time, I was more trusting towards the turtles than the humans. Perhaps this was because I outright didn't like humans at the time, or maybe it was because they were so much more docile than the humans I met throughout my life. You would think time would give me some sort clarity in my past. I remember a night where things actually started to progress with me and the group.

It was a cool and peaceful night, and I wasn't hungry so I ended up skipping dinner. It had been three days since I found the farm, although I spent most of those three days sleeping. I sitting on the steps of the front door and leaning on the railing, the wood wasn't as prickly as you would expect. I was still wearing my usual shirt and pants. I remember debating finding a river and washing the clothes myself, perhaps a lake the wash my body as well. That was when April came out the door. "Hey," she greeted as she stood behind me. If you asked the me how I felt about April's persistence in trying to befriend me at the time, I would've told you how annoying I found it. I often pushed away or shrugged off any attempts she made at having an actual conversation, which is what I was doing at that moment. "It sure is a nice night, don't you think?" April asked.

I thought about telling her to leave me alone, to not attempt a conversation with me. "Sure..." I mumbled. I swear I saw her eyes lighten up when she heard me respond, although I didn't understand why at the time. Apparently my response to her was her invitation to sit a step above me.

"Mikey was pretty glum when you didn't come inside for dinner," she said. I didn't really react, although I did feel a bit bothered that the orange clad turtle that was always smiling was glum. "You don't talk much, do you?" April questioned. I merely looked at her, which didn't do much. I returned my gaze back towards the forest, hoping she would take the hint. "You know, it wouldn't hurt to try something other than sleeping all day," she continued.

"Go away." I said. That was probably the firmest I had ever been with her, but I didn't want her to continue to talk to me even though I never responded to her. Perhaps I could've been nicer, but the past has past, right? She seemed surprised that I had actually spoke instead of mumbled, but she seemed more surprised at what I had said.

"What's wrong? I'm just trying to-"

"I don't trust you." I stated as I cut her off. To be honest, April was on the border between admirably persistent and annoyingly pushy back then.