005┆chapter five

USE SOMEBODY

USE SOMEBODY

five. i love you

▬▬ "THANKS FOR PICKING ME UP." Cassie repeated for the fourth time as she, Claire and Emily made their way into the latter's house. "Dad was at work and I know Paul's on patrol."

"Stop thanking me." The older woman laughed as she waved the teenager off. "Besides, Claire's been asking to see you for a week. She's really missed you."

"I missed her." Cassie smiled at the three-year-old.

"Come on, let's watch a movie!" Claire ran and jumped on the couch making Cassie laugh as she followed her ― it was still a struggle to get around the house with her crutches but she made do. "Emily got The Lion King!"

"That's my favorite movie." Cassie told her as she sat next to the girl, who wore a smile as she clicked a few buttons on the remote until the movie started.

"She's seen it five times since I bought it . . . yesterday." Emily stated as she walked over to the two with a glass of water, the ibuprofen Cassie asked for, and a Ziploc bag filled with ice.

"Then you must know all the songs." Cassie grinned, taking the items from Emily.

"Almost." Claire nodded and Cassie laughed as she put the pills in her mouth then washed them down with the water before putting it on the coaster that sat on the coffee table. She sighed as she settled into the couch, her bad leg stretched out, then she held the bag of ice to her head, wincing at the coldness of it. "You okay?" The kid asked, looking at Cassie as the movie started.

"Yeah, just got a bit of a headache."

"Okay." She smiled as she curled up next to the teenager, who smiled and wrapped her arm around her.

"You sure you're okay?" Emily asked as she sat on the other side of Claire.

"Yeah, my doctor was there. She looked me over. I'm good." She nodded. "Just hurts a little, figured the ice would help some."