𝐼. one

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚

ONE.

seeing her for the first time.

     AT THE SOUND OF THE FRONT DOOR, Vici jumped up from her spot on her bed in the attic and rushed downstairs to greet her sisters and question them about their night full of dancing, music, and potential suitors— she laughed at the thought of J...

AT THE SOUND OF THE FRONT DOOR, Vici jumped up from her spot on her bed in the attic and rushed downstairs to greet her sisters and question them about their night full of dancing, music, and potential suitors— she laughed at the thought of Jo finding anyone there that she would marry.

     With her book clutched underneath her arm, she quickly scrambled down the stairs in a mess of brown waves and white cloth— almost tripping over her feet and falling all the way down the stairs. She made her way past a strange boy that lingered back in entry way of their home without sparing another glance towards him, but she slowly walked back in front of the boy and offered him a curious look. His lips parted slightly at the sight of the girl, who had just been a blur of colors mere seconds before, but he could certainly see her a lot more clearly now.

     She was just maybe a few inches shorter than him, causing him to have to lower his head to lock eyes with her— and he swore he could get lost in the dusty blue color that reminded him of the ocean on a cloudy grey day. They were almost identical to Jo's, except the girl's were much deeper and much more blue. They complimented her face so nicely, especially with some of her brown waves that fell beautifully into place like dominoes. Her hair certainly wasn't as blonde as Jo's and in fact it was darker and leaning more towards a light brown color— but to him; she was the only one who could suit it so perfectly. Her soft, pink lips were pursed in something he couldn't quite decipher and her nose, which the tip was pointed slightly upwards and sat rounded, was scrunched in thought, perhaps.

     He was glad that she was definitely assessing his face intensely— as she hadn't spoken a word and only gave him a piercing stare with those sharp blue eyes that he immediately wanted to fall into— because he was sure that the tension in the air would only grow until it suffocated him and he was left a breathless mess. Unfortunately, his repeated prayers were not answered, as her lips parted— revealing a set of straight pearly white teeth. She was smiling at him while she spoke whatever she was saying because her lips were moving, but he couldn't hear a thing. It was like all his other senses were turned off and he could only see her. Her face. Her lips. Her eyes.

He burned bright red, as he realized nothing she said to him had registered in his mind. He adjusted his standing position, stepping back slightly with hopes to stop his heart from beating out of his chest. "I'm sorry. I didn't hear what you said," he admitted, fiddling with the coat in his hands.

The girl's smile widened, even if he just confessed he hadn't been listening to her. He was slightly puzzled and taken aback by her reaction, but smiled nonetheless. "I asked if you were the boy from the house next door," she laughed, inciting him to let out a small chuckle as well. "The Laurence boy?"