𝐈𝐈

╰⋯⋯⋯ ➢

╰⋯⋯⋯ ➢

"They're all gone." Amos said indignantly, looking at the lack of any belongings. Harvey looked at him, concerned.

"What do you mean?" he asked. "The man who carried you in, Linus, said that you didn't have anything on you, and I know he's not a thief. Did you lose your belongings in the mine?"

Amos held his side and turned. "I must have. I'll go and get them when I'm back there, but I must go Dr. Becker. Some thirsty parsnips are calling my name." and with that and a small wave, Amos ducked out of the clinic.

Lewis was walking by when Amos came out.

"Amos! Gone for a checkup I see? Harvey's the best doctor we've ever had. Oh by the way, I have something to show you!" he never gave Amos time to speak in response, and he just stood watching the mayor with a well masked sour expression.

"Can it wait?" He asked, still holding his side.

"No, no! You must see this, you'll love it. Follow me!"

It was too goddamn early to tolerate the mayor's forceful personality.

Lewis led him up a hill, and to a big brown wood building, with a broken clock mounted up onto it. At one time it would have been grand, but now the wood was soft with rot and ivy grew in the walls and crevices. Lewis opened the door.

"After you," he said with a flourish. Amos tried not to roll his eyes as he walked in.

Sunlight filtered through the holes in the roof. The place smelled of mold and mildew, and there was still furniture in it, rotting with the rest of the place, covered in dust. Amos stifled a cough and tried to ignore the stabbing pain in his ribs.

"This place used to be the community center. Lots of folks would come and hang out here, have parties, host events and whatnot. It doesn't feel the same without it... but we don't have enough money to fix and maintain it." Lewis said, frowning. "It's a crying shame really. Joja Corp. wants to buy it, but I won't sell it to them if I can help it."

Amos was surprised. "What does a place like Joja want to do with this dump?" After seeing the incredulous look on Lewis' face, he started again. "Well I just mean the center. Look at it," he gestured around. "If I kicked it hard enough I could knock most of the walls out."

"They want to build a warehouse here. They've already tried to buy some homes in town for the same reason." Lewis replied.

"No, you don't want those eyesores around here. They'll turn this place into some industrial plant if you're not careful, the town will lose its charm. I've done it for them before."

"You've what?" Lewis asked, looking rather dubious.

"I used to work for Joja, before I came here. I sought out towns like this that they could make into plants. Hated every minute of it. It was hard work with not enough pay. I will never forget the look on some of those citizen's faces." Amos answered, looking at the ground.

"So you'll help me prevent it from happening to us?" Lewis asked.

Amos thought for a moment, weighing his options. On one hand, his farm was far enough away to not be bothered too much by Joja, but he couldn't stop thinking about the townspeople. Robin would lose her construction business. He thought about Jodi and the two children she was raising on her own. He thought of the nice doctor, who would lose his practice and likely his livelihood.

"Yeah, I'll fix the place up."

A/N: sorry for a short one, this isn't rlly filler it's more of setting the scene. expect more harvey in the next chapter lol