3. Status Window

After quarreling with the system for quite some time, I slowly returned to my senses. To sum it up, I would have to live with the role of the villainess for the time being but I was freer than Sophien was. I could move however I wanted as long as I stayed 'in character' and the Game System couldn't exactly force me to do a certain action. There will be penalties for disregarding its missions but as long as I did not conflict with the Main Quest, I was safe.

The Game System could give me exactly three tasks.

It could issue a Main Quest which I had to follow and which were the most important ones for the game to advance. Consequently the penalties for disregarding or failing a Main Quest were the gravest. It could be another Death Cycle or a real, eternal death by shattering my soul.

Another task the Game System could issue was a mission. And while they were important, if I really did not want to do it, I could give it up. Missions were important for the right development but weren't absolutely necessary. Penalties could include restrictions or an increase in Hate Points in certain characters which in turn might generate a new Death Flag.

Lastly the Game System could give me a simple task like bringing book A to standpoint B. It would mostly be odd jobs which anyone could solve. There could be a penalty but there doesn't have to be one.

So after sorting all that information out, I decided to take a break for real. Even though I reacted and talked normally, the sequence of events had shaken me greatly. It felt like I was living through some sort of frame, moving and speaking like intended but somehow still isolated from the world. And I wondered whether every outsider had to go through this bewildering state...

With the goal of slowly fitting into this situation, I hesitantly rang the bell next to my bed and promptly that maid appeared. Again remembering the event of the assassin, she earned quite a few sympathy points from me.

"Tell the cook to boil me some light soup", ahhh, it felt so awkward to be informal to a person I just met. "Also tell the cook I will only be dining from and with silverware from now on."

Her eyes seemed to widen considerably but she only bowed and left the room.

I had no knowledge whether silver really changed color when it was in contact with poison but it was a popular trope in novels, mangas and animes so hopefully it would also include this game.

While waiting in my bed, I resumed chatting with the system. It was refreshing to talk after being alone all this time. I was glad I managed to obtain him, err, I meant that I was glad to have obtained an accomplice or something like that. He wasn't an object, or was he?

I shook my head to chase these thoughts away.

"Right, why am I so calm, system?"

Even though I knew I could just ask the question in my head, somehow, I wanted to voice it out. Maybe it was another side effect of the Death Cycle but this bewildering feeling of being detached from the world was really bothering me. And I had to get used to my new voice anyway so I just did as I pleased.

Hmm, probably a skill, I think. I haven't checked it yet. Do you want to see your status?

'Status? Like in a game? I thought this was an Otome Game. Do they have skills?'

At that moment I heard a soft knock on my door. "Young Miss? The soup is ready, shall I serve it in your room?"

"Yes, please do so", I answered as noble as I could.

Moments later a few servants clothed in maid uniforms entered and placed everything inside. I got to enjoy breakfast in bed, nobles really knew how to live, didn't they.