9. First Encounter, First Obstacle (3)

I felt some sense of déjà-vu as I woke up in the same white room as before. I had a nasty taste left in my mouth and an empty stomach.

"Is it better now?"

This time I was not alone. Embarrassment flushed over me as I recalled what happened. After recognizing Carnelian I grasped his clothes and fainted. After that I was in a state of waking up, vomiting and fainting again. And Carnelian stayed with me throughout... .

I hid myself behind my own hands.

"Don't. Just don't."

I heard a soft chuckle. "It's alright. This stuff happens. I've been through a lot. Are you still sick?"

Not wanting to admit the real reason for me throwing up, I slightly nodded. Carnelian himself did not seem to notice his casual tone. Last time he was casual as well but just a little bit more formal. I enjoyed this casualness I hadn't had in a while because of my high status.

"You gave me quite a shock, you know?"

I smiled at his similar words. "I am sorry", I told him upfront.

"Ah! That's not what I mean", he fidgeted a little with his hands probably out of nervousness. "It's just, I couldn't imagine you to just collapse after you had that confrontation. You were cool, you know."

"I was?", did the Side Quest activate because of this?

"Yeah, incredibly confident. I think it's nice to just say your thoughts upfront."

He appeared a little sad when he said that and I had to snort about the irony. I did not mean what I said at all. Well... not everything, I was just slightly influenced by Sophien at the end. Furthermore I would have to continue to play a role. It would be uncertain how much of what I did and said would be my own will and what would be the Game System command or task. And here he was envying these empty words, leaving me with mixed feelings.

"Just don't tell anyone about what happened afterwards", I joked and in turn glossed over this topic. I did not want to lie to him.

As thanks I became a genuine laugh. "Alright."

Talking to him calmed my still tense nerves. This time he led the topic to my new major and what I would have to expect. He worried that I was still too ill to really participate in the morning and evening training and I had to assure him that I would take it slow.

We talked until late in the evening and he only left when it was time for me to eat.

'Status Window'

Status Window

Name: Sophien Alma Rubien

Age: 17

Race: Human

Level: 21

Health: 21/21 → 7/11

Mana: 25/25 → 12/12

Stamina 21/21 → 6/10

Attack: 12/12 → 2/2

Defense: 19/19 → 9/9

Speed: 21/21 → 7/10

Mental Health: 21/21 → 6/11

Mental Fortitude: 21/21 → 7/11

Aptitude: Fire, Light, Darkness

Skills: Fire Ball Lvl. 3, Fire Wall Lvl. 2, Barrier Lvl. 1 (locked), Mana Breath Lvl. 3 (New↑), Calmness Lvl. 5 (affected↓), Poison Resistance Lvl. 5, Body Enhancement Lvl. 3 (affected↓), Sense Enhancement Lvl. 4 (affected↓), Awareness Lvl. 4 (affected↓), Enemy Detection Lvl. 1 (affected↓), Evasion Lvl. 1 (affected↓)