FIFTEEN

"Wow."

I rolled my eyes at Ethan's fake awe and looked at myself in the mirror, straightening out my short, floral summer dress that flowed out at the bottom.

"Give me a break, Lisa picked it out," I sighed. I turned around and raised an eyebrow at him. "You wear glasses?"

"Nope," He chuckled. "They're fake. They make me look smart, though, don't you think?"

"Why would you need to look smart?"

"To impress the family, of course," He brushed off his short-sleeve, button-up shirt before flashing me a grin. "How do I look?"

I stared at him, refusing to admit that the shirt he was wearing fit him very well.

I shrugged. "Good enough, I guess."

He rolled his eyes with a smirk. "Your eyes said something else."

"You're imagining things."

"Am I?"

"Yes, you are."

He chuckled. "Whatever you say. Oh, by the way, what would you say to some drinks after dinner? I overheard that Jackson guy talking about a bar about a block away."

I raised an eyebrow. "Like a date?"

"What is it with you and thinking everything's a date?" He scratched his beard and looked away from me, taking off his round, wire glasses that were apparently fake. "I still know nothing about you, and I figure if I get you drunk you might decide to share."

"I'm not going to get drunk."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm a mess when I'm drunk, and you really shouldn't have to deal with that," I shrugged. "I'll go, but I won't drink a lot."

"We'll have to make sure your 'friend' doesn't follow us. We don't want him whisking you away to some romantic dinner, do we?"

"At least I'd be out of your hands, Coach," I brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and turned away.

"Maybe," He made his way over to me and held out his hand. "But then you'd be complaining about it for the rest of the trip. Shall we?"

"I don't complain," I took his hand and let him lead me out of the room. "At least, not much."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," He teased. We walked down the stairs and met up with the group, which, now that everyone was together, seemed much larger than before. It consisted of my dad, Lisa, Meghan, Jackson and his mother, Chris (my dad's best man), and his wife. The rest of the group was staying at a nearby hotel.

"You look beautiful, Bec," Jackson said to me. He was out of earshot of the others, but Ethan squeezed my hand tighter at that. Jackson smirked when he looked at Ethan and back to me. "I figure someone should say it to you."

I blushed and looked down at my feet. I didn't expect Ethan to compliment me, because we weren't dating. Jackson knew that.

"Will you be quiet? Someone might hear you," I muttered.

Jackson shrugged and walked away, so I sighed.

"This is going to be a nightmare," I mumbled.

"You do, by the way," Ethan said quietly. "Look beautiful, I mean. Er, you know, better than you normally do. Uh, wait, I didn't mean—"

"Ethan, I don't care. Just ignore him," I turned away. "You don't have to feel bad."

He let out an annoyed breath and dropped it. Lisa came over and dragged me away from Ethan, a big smile on her face.