x. 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐧

"Where is your brother? He should be here by now

"Where is your brother? He should be here by now." Violet ranted on the following morning, pacing the room.

"Surely off ruining another woman's life." Griffin mocked before taking a sip of his tea.

"Perhaps he is still waiting at the alter for Miss Edwina." Colin had to be the next to follow the joke as Benedict and Eloise giggled.

"There will be no mockery today." Violet warned each of them. "Especially you."

Griffin gave a dramatic gasp when his gaze fixed upon her. "How dare you accuse me of such a thing, Mother? It's not as if my own Brother has disrespected my wife and last name."

"Are we back to calling her your wife?" Eloise looked over.

"Did it ever stop?" Benedict gave a curious look.

"Are we not overlooking the benefit of this...tragedy?" Eloise spoke up as she placed her book down.

"Leftover cake?" Gregory looked back.

"And you wonder why I mock you?" Hyacinth glared.

"That Griffin could propose to Miss Edwina?" Collin frowned his eyebrows.

"I'm a gentleman." Griffin warned his brother. "I will not be taking Miss Edwinas sadness as an opportunity."

"Brother!" Benedict annoyance as Anthony finally showed. "How good of you to join us."

"Have you all eaten?" he looked around.

"You will need to break your last later." Violet spoke quickly. "For now, is it the utmost importance that we act swiftly to limit the damaging consequences of the unfortunate events of your-"

"Bungled nuptials?" Colin spoke up in questioning.

"Is all of this truly happening because a woman merely changed her mind?" Eloise spoke up with a look of complete disbelief and annoyance

"Unfortunately so, Eloise." Violet seemed to mock her. "Yet, I suppose the reason does not signify. We simply must deal with the consequences. Now, I think it a pleasant morning for promenade."

Every single one of them groaned as Violet shook her head. "Together, united, we the most respectable family that we still very much are."

"Ah, surely." Griffin got to his feet with a harsh bump into Anthony's shoulder when he stopped to make another cup of tea. "I did warn you of this, did I not? What a terrible husband you would have been. Is it truly such a shock to you that I was right?"

"A respectable family is headed by a gentleman, is it not?" Anthony turned his gaze to violet

"Brother...Is there something more we should know?" Benedict looked his way in questioning. "Or perhaps I should just know?"

"Yes, do you have something to tell us?" Griffin mocked him. "Or should I bring Miss Edwina her respectable justice?"

"He knows?" Benedict gapped in disbelief.