Chapter 5

Tazim would never openly admit he lost his way.

Traveling alone for the first time came with its pros and cons. He may have been taking slightly longer to reach his destination than he would have thought, but he refused to believe he was lost. He began with following the brightest star as his mother had told him years before. Yet a haze covered the sky. Tazim was as good as blind. It was not even a few hours, and his spirit was threatening to break. His mare was far from tired but Tazim himself was exhausted.

Tazim. 

What a name. If he were to be accepted into the brotherhood, he could not risk the chance of being found out. He must become accustomed to the name. With every passing day, Tazim only looked more like his father. His mother had told him much of that. With their shared name and attributes, Tazim would rather be on the safe side. Surely the Assassin he met must have sensed something.

Still, he was not completely sure who his mare had belonged to prior. She had been waiting for him. It was the Assassin's doing, surely, but there was no way to be completely certain. Tazim quite liked her calm exterior. Her appetite not so much after having ate most of the apples Tazim had brought with him, jokingly calling her Elma through their short journey

Giving a quick glance up into the clouded sky, Tazim cursed at himself. Of all nights for the weather to act up...

He was far too tired to think more of it. Tazim jumped down from his horse, looking up into the dark sky again. The moon gave enough light behind its haze but not enough to show a sign of stars. He couldn't risk traveling during the night and further becoming lost. Tazim almost hoped to find the Assassin on his journey but as fate would have it, he had waited too long. The Assassin would be much farther ahead than he.

"We will rest." Tazim spoke softly to his mare while unpacking his bedroll.

Tazim had little experience when it came to sleeping out in the open. He neared a tree to sleep under for a few hours. Perhaps when he awoke, Tazim would find his bearings. His mare near him, he would give Elma some time to rest. He had not thought he would be so tired, although he and Rahim had awoken early that morning to set up their stall in the markets. As he lay down, Tazim felt the burn of his muscles from that afternoon's quarrel with the guards and Assassin.

Just as he closed his eyes, ready to fall asleep comfortable with his head resting on his pack filled with miscellaneous items, Tazim thought back to his family. His mother would awaken to find him missing, the thought alone hurt more than he thought it would, but Tazim had no other choice. He would see for himself what happened to his father.

Tazim hadn't realized he fell asleep until hours later when a cold blade pressed against his neck. Hiss vision was blurred as he forced his eyes to open. Within a few seconds, he caught sight of the hooded figure leaning over him. Perhaps his night was not as unlucky as it had seemed.

Assassin.

Tazim scoffed, his voice still clung to sleep, "Well, it was about time-"

"The mare," the blade at Tazim's neck dug deeper.

It was only after a moment that Tazim realized, this Assassin was not an Assassin. At least not the one Tazim had met. His voice was that of a much younger man's, a strange hint of an accent. The cowl, his robes were not the deadly white of the man he had met. Not the Assassin he should fear. His face, although hardly distinguishable in the hazy moonlight, was young, almost childlike with softer features. Clearly no thick beard.

Tazim wiped the sleep from his eyes, "What-"

"This horse is not yours, boy," yet again the blade moved on his neck, drawing the slightest bit of blood, "Speak wisely before I cut out your tongue."

Although he was much younger than most Assassin's, Tazim took caution. Such novices cared little for the life of a random civilian. No matter how much he told himself he should not be afraid, Tazim could not fight the nerves the Novice gave him. He feared the young man being unpredictable.

He thought carefully of what the boy was telling him. The mare, of course! Tazim mentally slapped himself.

"The Assassin- he... an older man! I can explain."

At that, the Novice let a grin spread across his face before letting out a laugh. Tazim still lay, his hands on his chest, as he kept on high alert.

 "I am only joking," the other boy removed his blade from Tazim's neck and stood, "You sound like a girl. I know of the Assassin, fool. He is my superior. We crossed paths not long ago. He told me to keep an eye out for a boy looking like a beggar."

As he stood, the Novice took notice just how worried Tazim had become. With a friendly curl to his lips, he offered his hand which Tazim gladly took before clambering to brush off his dusted clothes.

Wiping the drop of blood on his neck, Tazim accused cautiously, "You're no older than I am."

"Perhaps not in age but in rank..." the Novice let his voice trail off, taking a step aside to pet Elma, "Grab your things, we are leaving to Masyaf. You have slowed down my return."

Blunt and to the point, Tazim thought. The arrogance in his voice was evident, something Tazim quickly found annoying. Despite his tanned skin and dark hair, the other boy was not from those lands, noticeable mostly by the drawl of his words.

"You are a novice, yet you wander freely?" Tazim was fast in collecting his things. His bedroll tied neatly as he secured it on his horse, mounting Elma and taking hold of the reins to start their journey.

The novice thought over the question, the corner of his lips tugging upward yet falling just as quickly. He made sure the satchel and few weapons on his saddle were secure before mounting his own, "I was accompanying my superior. Collecting taxes. He is less harsh than others. I am Basilio.”

"Tazim."

"I know," Basilio rolled his eyes, a grin to his lips, "Tazim, am I to believe you are worthy to walk up the steps of the Masyaf castle?"

At that, Tazim became irritated. Of course, he was worthy and if not, he would make sure to become worthy soon enough. What a question to ask. Tazim only hoped their journey to Masyaf would be fast, he was unsure if he could stand being with Basilio any longer than necessary.

The young man scoffed, "You are to believe whatever you wish, it is not my business and I do not care. I am going to Masyaf for a serious matter."

His goal was to find answers to questions long since asked. Tazim took the duty with pride. He was to infiltrate and analyze his findings, not to make friends with such a useless novice.

"Quite the mood killer," the other replied, guiding his own horse as Tazim followed, "You wish to be trained?"

With an annoyed grunt, Tazim answered, "I wish to further my training, yes."

Basilio hummed amusingly. He brushed a strand of hair from his eyes, only for it to fall once again. He grew upset, "Then you will be disappointed. But true to your word, you will be an Assassin. You hold the anger."

"I hold more than anger."

As they slowly neared a hill, a faint hint of moonlight escaped from beyond the hazy sky. A light breeze of air began to pick up, kissing at Tazim's skin. The sky would be sure to clear soon enough, and they would reach Masyaf with no issues. Although he’d found a guide, Tazim could do little to hide his discontent. At least, the discontent of having this guide in particular. One who didn’t seem at all to take the Assassin ways seriously.

Basilio wandered, holding his reigns loosely as he pondered which direction they were to go before deciding a route. He whistled and hummed while picking at the neck of his robes, at times mumbling to his horse. The complete opposite of the older Assassin.

Tazim could not help but question his intellect, "Will you make this journey difficult, Basilio?"

"It depends," he smirked, turning his head back to look at his new acquaintance, "are you ever not so serious, Tazim."