Chapter 7

They waited in the courtyards.

Basilio finally stood quiet long enough for Tazim to hear himself think. As though he needed to do much thinking in the first place. It was strange to think just how drastically his life would change from then on. Tazim let his eyes wander to the vast emptiness of the silent courtyard before hearing footsteps not too far behind them.

The Assassin, Zamir. He kept his chin up high as he took slow steps, nearing the other end of the courtyard. Basilio turned his head, motioning to Tazim, "I must speak to Zamir now. I will not be long."

"Should I go as well?"

"No-," he paused, a bit on edge, "No, I will just be a moment."

When Basilio and Zamir greeted each other, they hugged. A strange sight to Tazim, before they quickly began discussing matters. They spoke in hushed voices, forcing Tazim to only wonder what they were saying. The elder Assassin rested his hand on the youngers' shoulder, his lips barely moving but he spoke quickly, occasionally sending glances in Tazim's direction.

Had he not known of their working situation, Tazim would have mistaken them as family. Easily passing as a father and son or an uncle and his nephew if it weren't for their differing traits. Basilio's nose rose where Zamir's dipped. The widened expression of Basilio's eyes contrasted the heavy lids of Zamir's own. His hair curled over his eyebrows while Zamir's was combed back. The scars on his face were faded, while Basilio had none at all.

Still, they confided in each other a little too well. Scrunching his nose, Basilio did not seem entirely content or perhaps convinced of what his superior was telling him. A sour face was not something he easily or purposely hid. After exchanging a few more words, Basilio nodded his head and met Tazim once more.

With a sigh, the younger spoke, "He calls for you."

Tazim should not have felt concerned, yet he could not rid himself of the feeling. Like an unavoidable itch within his very core. He neared the Assassin with a nod of his head, the older man greeting him with a warm smile.

"Tazim."

"Assassin."

Zamir chuckled, grasping Tazim's shoulder in congratulations, and patted it happily. For a moment, Tazim felt like a child. The act alone made Tazim wonder whether the Assassin ever had any children of his own.

"You made it. Just as I am leaving, off to new lands as it seems. I wished to have guided you, but things do not always go as planned, if ever. Basilio will look after you."

Abbas had quite terrible timing in giving orders to his men. Zamir was the only person Tazim was looking forward to properly meet, and hopefully assist him on his task, though he would be leaving far too soon. To make matters worse, he was leaving Tazim under the care of a novice.

"I can take handle myself from here," Tazim pressed.

Scoffing, Zamir answered calmly, "Basilio is not so terrible as you may think. Perhaps you can watch over yourself, but it is always better with a friend."

He might have been right, although Tazim was accustomed to being left alone. What could this boy, hardly any older than himself, teach at all? Despite the greater experience, Tazim grew annoyed. He was being bullheaded, and he knew it. It was frustrating in its own way, but he should take whatever help given to him.

Stubbornly, Tazim directed Zamir's attention elsewhere. He brought forth the sword at his side, ready for the Assassin to examine, "You'd given me a blade but... I had thought to bring a weapon for myself."

Zamir gladly took it from the boys' hands. Inspecting it closely, he tilted his head, his brows knitting together. Each groove and curve became familiar. Most familiar was the weight to the sword. The designs, its age-