꒰ diluc & kaeya ⥽ something in the way ꒱

vigilante au
contains mentions of drinking

╭─━━━━━━━━━━─╮

It was only for appearances that you bought a beverage at the Dawn Winery. Your fingers traced the golden rim of the glass, silently willing it to make some melodious noise as you had seen done in the movies. No such song was produced.

You clicked your tongue in disappointment. Bringing the cup to your lips, you tilted your head and allowed the liquid to moisten your throat.

Grape juice, you praised, swiping your tongue across the remnants gathered near your mouth.

An odd choice for a wine tasting event, perhaps, but at first glance, it was one of the few things that could pass as alcohol. You needed to be sharp to carry out your objective tonight.

Scrutinizing eyes swept across the room, searching for a head of crimson among the sea of brunettes and blondes. Your laissez-faire expression made it seem as if simple curiosity was the true purpose behind your actions. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

A woman in twin braids appeared at your side, flagging down the bartender who had just begun to walk elsewhere. She ordered a strong drink that wasn't on the event menu. The way her eyes darted from person to person made you seem normal in comparison.

"Diluc is going to be here, right?" she whispered into your ear, claiming your attention in the process.

Another maiden hoping to catch the eye of Mondstadt's most eligible bachelor, you supposed.

"Yes, I believe so."

"Oh, good." A nervous laugh escaped her throat. "I hadn't seen him anywhere around here yet. Late to his own event, isn't that something?"

You averted your gaze elsewhere and sipped your juice. "He's a busy man, I'd imagine."

She ignored your attempt to shake her off by claiming the stool next to yours. Her drink arrived in a short, crystalline glass. From the looks of it, it was a simple whiskey on the rocks.

"Too busy for romance, as well, it seems," she snorted. After a deep breath, she downed the drink faster than you thought possible. "I'm Donna. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Likewise," you said, eyeing her with a quirked brow. "You should slow down if your goal is to make an impression on him. I'm sure he's seen enough drunkards in his days."

"Ugh, you're right. Hey! Can I get some water please?"

You ignored her from then on by closing your eyes and drifting off into your own world. The din of the winery blended in a cacophony of eloquent laughter and clinking glasses. A small sigh left your nose and you tried to suppress your growing irritation of having to wait for the esteemed Diluc Ragnvindr to show up to his own wine tasting. You were beginning to understand Donna's frustrations the longer you bided your time.

It was when you felt the burn of a stare that you finally stirred from your dormant state. Your eyelashes fluttered—maintaining your innocent facade—as you examined the attendees with curiosity akin to a feline. Across the room, a male with hair as dark as the twilight sky set his sights on you and refused to concede.