Truth

I was currently sitting on a black leather sofa, staring at the TV as a bunch of guys tackled each other and ran back and forth across a field. "This is lame," I complained.

Michael glanced over at me. "You can leave, you know."

I glared. "You told me I couldn't leave the house. And what's the point of this anyway?"

"You can leave the room," he corrected.

"Everyone else left."

"And?"

I threw my hands up into the air, exasperated. "And I'm bored!"

"I can tell," he responded, his smirk growing.  I crossed my arms, frustrated. The TV turned off. "Fine. I have great methods for distracting girls." He grinned wider.

I didn't know how to take that. Before I could ask, Lia came in. "Trust me, he does," she told me, smiling coyly. "Briggs got held up with the case. He and Sterling won't be back until tomorrow. I guess it's time you meet our other house residents April."

There are more?

Lia smiled. "Follow me."

***

It turns out Michael wasn't the only boy here. I didn't know whether or not I was surprised, but at this point, I didn't know if I cared.

"So why is she here again?" Dean was asking Lia.

Lia rolled her eyes. "Because, Dean. Just because."

"That's not an answer."

"She's a profiler!"

"We don't need anymore profilers. Two is plenty." That's okay Dean, I will leave as soon as this mess is sorted out.

Michael peeked his head into the kitchen. "And she's good with statistics." Dean glared at him. "I'm just saying," Michael shrugged, walking toward the cupboard and pulling out a bag of popcorn. "What?" He asked, noting my frown. "This is getting good."

His grin, Dean's obvious dislike of me, and Lia's I'm-superior-than-thou attitude had me wanting to run out of the house and not look back. Or maybe hit someone...

"Ok, look Dean, I'm sorry I'm here, I don't want to be here, I don't know why I'm here, but I'm here. So maybe instead of getting rid of me you could help me figure out how to go home."

"Aww, come on April, we know you like it here," Lia pouted, twirling a piece of hair around her finger. I glared again. At this rate, my eyes were going to get stuck in a permanent glare.

Sloane peeked her head into the kitchen. "If it makes you feel better, I like you. 30% less than Lia, 36% less than Michael, 43% less than Dean, 62% less than Cassie and Hayden, and 70% less than Judd, but I like you." She smiled, a dimple appearing on one side of her face.

It took a lot of self-control not to face palm or roll my eyes, but apparently it accounted for nothing. "Actually Sloane," Michael spoke up from his spot at the counter, "I don't think April likes-"

"Thank you for that Sloane," I interrupted, cutting him off. He gave me a grin and flicked a piece of popcorn off the counter. I watched as it hit Dean in the back of the head, but Dean didn't react.

Lesson number one: Ignore Michael. Got it Dean. Thanks.

"Not gonna retaliate Dean?" I asked sweetly, watching him closely. The only tell I saw was his fingers curling inward.

"Dean doesn't get mad," Lia informed me, drawing my attention off of Dean. "If Dean was mad, you'd know. Trust me."

Duly noted.