Late Night

a/n: I forgot I started this fan fiction, so I'm sorry I haven't updated! I've been trying to remember where I was going with this plot, but it's been a while, so bear with me. There may be some discrepancies between this fan fiction and the actual book, but I'm writing this for fun so I'm not worried about being too exact. Thanks for reading!

We all sit there in silence as we absorb what Agent Sterling just said.  Hayden shifts uncomfortably next to me, but no one else seems to move, all of us waiting for someone else to say something.

Finally, in classic fashion, Lia breaks the silence.  "Well, she's not lying.  She's really a special agent, her name really is Veronica Sterling, and for some reason, she's operating under the misguided belief that she resides under our roof." 

I snort at how ridiculous this situation is, attracting Dean's attention.  His eyes are burning, but I ignore him and watch Agent Sterling.

"Lia, I presume?" Agent Sterling says, to which Lia nods.  "The one who specializes in lies."

"Telling them, spotting them, it's all the same," Lia says, shrugging.  I watch her finger grab a lock of hair and start twirling it.  For some reason, Sterling makes her nervous.  

"And yet you interacted on a daily basis with an FBI agent who was moonlighting as a serial killer."

My eyes dart from Lia to Agent Sterling.  She's not lying, and now I understand Lia's uneasiness.  She knows too much for it to be comfortable.  Especially with how low-key this program is.   My brain is still absorbing the fact that the last agent here was a serial killer when Cassie's voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Agent Sterling, as in Director Sterling?" she asks.

I hadn't thought very much, or at all, actually, about there being a director to this program.  My brain had been too focused on sifting through the given information that I forgot there are people with higher power than those in this house.  

"Director Sterling is my father," Agent Sterling admits, her tone flat, and I wonder what her daddy issues are.  "He sent me here to do damage control."

I'd already guessed as much, but hearing her say it just confirms the dots I've connected.  The serial killer FBI agent was the one who Cassie had mentioned was shot, which means that she had infiltrated this house and its supernatural inhabitants without raising suspicions.  It makes me wonder just how solid our abilities really are, and if there is anyone else taking advantage of us.  

I'm waiting for her to reveal more, but it seems like the conversation is over.

Dean is the first to leave, followed by Lia.  Michael spares one more glance at me before following, and one by one everyone else leaves, until it's just me and her.

I sit here, waiting for her to say something, maybe acknowledge that she knows me, but she doesn't.  I begin to realize she's not going to.

I open my mouth to say something, I don't know what, but she turns around and leaves, effectively cutting me off.  She flips the light switch on the way out, and now I'm sitting in the dark, shadows casting over the furniture because of the soft light from the kitchen.

***

I'm still reeling from this evening's earlier events. After Agent Sterling came in, everyone disappeared like the room was on fire. Yet I've been sitting here well past when everyone left, after Sterling turned off the light without saying a word to me.

The sudden creak from the stairs startles me, and I quickly jump off the couch to face the intruder.

I watch the outline until Jude steps into the light coming from the kitchen. "Why is someone always awake when I try to leave?"