Falling

Thunder roared as lightning struck an alley behind the mall on a sunny cloudless day.

"Freak weather," muttered a passerby.

Butterflies danced in her stomach as she bit back her nervousness. Her date had just arrived.

"Court!" The cute skinny boy she'd been working with in her other identity made his way through the crowd with a bouquet of fresh flowers.

His brilliant blue eyes twinkled as he gave her a shy dimpled smile. "Sorry I'm late. Had to stop a giant robot on the way here," he grinned sheepishly as he handed her the pink roses.

"What's with the big red cheese and the giant robots?" Her cheeks felt hot. She couldn't help grinning, hopefully not like an idiot.

"Why does everyone call me a red cheese," pouted the adorable teen in his bright red sweater.

He looked so shy as he handed her the bouquet.

Taking the bouquet, Courtney pecked his cheek. "It's ok, little red cheese. Movie starts in a few."

The mall was packed

The mall was packed. Grabbing his hand she wove through the crowd to the popcorn stall. "Snacks are on me."

Billy tensed suddenly. His eyes darted around.

Scanning the crowd, Courtney didn't see anything suspicious. Was Billy ok? "What's wrong?"

Billy's brow furrowed. "Thought I saw..." He shook his head.

"Nothing," he shrugged. "Just my imagination," he mumbled as he led her into the cinema.

-------

Jakeem seethed with jealousy.

He's crushing real bad on Courtney but she treats him like her baby brother. He was just too proud, or maybe too chicken to tell her how she really felt.

Now she's dating this Billy.

He'd seen that boy before, at the Ultra Humanoid fiasco, back when he thought the Thunderbolt turned JSA's heavy hitter, Captain Marvel into a kid.