First Blood

Blade-like claws snatched Courtney away. Blood dripped from the fresh wounds on her shoulder and left arm.

"Shazam!"

Lightning struck

Lightning struck.
In the place of the boy, Captain Marvel shot after the creatures.

Up in the clouds, Courtney elbowed and kicked herself loose, her downward descent accelerating without her cosmic belt or rod.

Instantly, Marvel gently caught the falling girl, slowing her descent.

Safe and secure in Marvel's strong arms, Courtney leaned into his heavily muscled chest for comfort.

It was then when swarms of parademons poured out through a black hole above the clouds, until the sky as far as they could see was filled with these monsters.

Weaving through the swarm parademons, protectively carrying the pretty teen, bridal style, Captain Marvel made his way towards the headquarters.

"What are you doing? You've got to stop them," chided Courtney.

"Not in your condition," came his gentle reply.

"It's just a scratch! Put me down and go get them!"

Reluctantly, Marvel landed and carefully laid her down on the grass.

A red blur swirled around the parademons driving them back into the hole they came from.

Seconds, the sky was clear.

A heavily muscled red suited man hovered facing the black hole, white cape fluttering. His eyes blazed with stormy fury. Lightning danced on his balled fists as he faced the would be invaders.

The black hole blinked out of existence, and with it, the immediate invasion threat.

"Court!" The Captain landed by her side. Flash was already with her, staunching the blood flowing from her shoulder.

"I'll bring her to the med bay." Green Lantern enclosed the unconscious girl and Flash in a green bubble while a grim-faced Captain Marvel flew alongside them.

-------

"Billy," mumbled the Courtney as she tossed feverishly in her sleep.

"Shhh... Court, I'm here," the raven haired boy tenderly stroked her burning cheek.

His brilliant blue eyes watered, "I should protected her. Could have, should have, prevented this." The sight of tubes running through her veins, wires hooking her up to the medical equipment pained him.

You did what you had to, son." Alan squeezed the grieving boy's shoulder. "You stopped that invasion."

"She's tough. She'll pull through," added Jay.

Billy squeezed a clean wet towel and dabbed Courtney's face, "she's still feverish. Hasn't woken up since..."

The door opened. Dr Mid-Nite walked in, followed by Mister Terrific. "It's the poison in her veins. It's of an unearthly origin."

"Apokolips," muttered Billy. "Scott and Barda may have the antidote."

The boy activated his League communicator. "Scott, I really need your help." Billy explained the situation to his Justice League team mate.

Minutes later, a boom tube opened in Brownstone.

Mister Miracle, Big Barda and Superman stepped out of it.

"I happened to be with Scott," said the Man of Steel as he looked emphatically at Billy. "Besides, if it were Lois, I know you wouldn't hesitate to help."

Mr Miracle examined Courtney.

His eyes met Billy's. "The good news is, there is an antidote."

"The bad news?" Asked Terrific.

"It is only found in the fire pits of Apokolips. She has to take it within 48 hours of exposure to the poison or she will die," Mr Miracle looked away.

Four hours had already passed. The clock was ticking.

"Suit up Bill," said Superman. "We'll get it to her in time. She'll make it," his warm smile comforted Billy.

********
Notes

Jumps off from DC miniseries Legends (1986-1987)