Prologue rewrite: A New beginning

Vanitas looks at the grave in front of him and his siblings. He stares at the name engraved into the headstone Selena Phoenix-Dusk. He had a feeling that he had played a part in his mother's death, Maybe if he had stayed at their lunch and hadn't run off when she had said she wanted him to go the college or find a job that wasn't so demanding of him. If he had listened to her and stayed and talk instead of running off would she still be here? He looks at the sky, no longer able to take the site of the gravestone with his mother's name on it. He closes his eyes taking in the sounds around him, He can hear Sora, Roxas, and Xion's sobs as it set in that their mother wasn't coming back. Vanitas Jumped at the feeling of a hand on his shoulder. He turned his head to only see Ventus, looking worried about him. "Are you sure your okay, Van??" Vanitas, shrugs off Ventus's hand, "ya I am fine, Ven... How are they taking it??" He moitsions to Sora, Roxas and Xoin. "They're hurting, just like us... Our mom is gone, it's hard than when we had to explain dad was gone. But we'll get through it and we'll stick together, and get through this, like how she would have wanted it to be." Ven says trying to let Vanitas cry if needed and trying to be the rock Vanitas tends to be for the family. Vanitas messes up Ven's hair "I still can't believe she's gone... The woman whose husband disappears from her. Leaving her alone with two six-year-olds and when she was 6 months pregnant! The one who cased us around and made sure we had a childhood, is gone... and not coming back... It doesn't feel real... like we should be waking up at any second now..." Vanitas avoids Ven's gaze. Ven quickly hugs Vanitas "if you need to cry... Cry, I can help Van... You aren't alone... I am here for you... Okay?" Vanitas hugs Ven back "I am fine Ven... and if you cry it's okay too..." Ven slowly starts to cry " HOW CAN SHE BE DEAD VAN... SHE WON'T SEE THEM INTO HIGH SCHOOL, THEM TO COLLEGE, THEIR WEDDINGS, HER GRANDCHILDREN, SHE'S GONE FOR ALL OF IT" Ven sobs out as he finally breaks down, as Van comforts him. Sora, Roxas, and Xion quickly rush over to join in the hug.

Van continues to comfort them and looks at the grave again before looking back to his siblings reminding himself to stay strong for them, just until they are home and he is alone to cry, just until then. Sora, Roxas, and Xion slowly start to head to the car. "We need to get home Ven... The triplets are already heading to the car...". Vanitas says softly to his brother, Ven nods at his twin's words, slowly getting up and following the Triplets. Vanitas sighs as he places the flowers he bought for her grave, "Later, Mom. I'll be back soon." Vanitas says to the headstone before walking towards his Motorcycle. While he watches his twin break a fight up between Sora and Roxas over the shotgun seat, and ends up giving it to Xion. So Sora or Roxas can't say Ventus likes one of them better than the other. Xion nods and gets into the car along with Sora and Roxas getting into the backseat, as Ventus gets into the driver's seat and starts the car. Vanitas sighs and gets his helmet on and gets on his motorcycle and starts it and drives to the house to get the new reality of their lives. On the way, he thinks of his mother more, to think about his mother, Her roots were blonde and faded to brown before fading to black. Her amber and Bright blue eyes always loved when looking at him and his siblings. Her shirt was 3/4 sleeves, her old ripped jeans, and her apron she wore when baking or cooking. The apron would be used by Ventus and Xion now, Not their mother. She was in an honorable car crash. He remembers seeing her body and had cleaned her blood off of her so Ventus, Xion, Sora, and Roxas wouldn't have that picture in their heads. He would bear that burden not them just like knowing their dad wasn't MIA but leaving them for a "better Family".

Vanitas walks out of his room hoping that his sibling wouldn't notice the puffiness around his eyes. As he walks downstairs and looks around seeing Roxas laying on the couch switching through the channels just snuggled in a blanket and hoodie. Van walks over and leans over the couch "Hey Rox, are you okay bud?" Roxas glances at Vanitas and shrugs before looking "I am fine? I think? I don't know..." he stops flipping through the channels. Van jumps over the couch and plops down next to Roxas, "You want to say something so say it Rox, I want to know what's going on in your head Rox... I am here for you... so please say it" Van looks at Roxas hoping to get him to open up. Roxas sighs "... Mom is the first person we, me Sora and Xion, have ever lost... Dad disappeared before we were here... Mom's parents died years ago. Dad's family is unknown to us... I don't know what to do Van... We didn't lose Dad as you and Ven did... You guys have mourned before... we haven't... Hell Sora is going to go to Riku's so he doesn't look around and get reminded of mom for the rest of the day! Xion is trying to figure out what should be packed up in their room. Because that was their area... I... I ... I don't know what to do..." Roxas starts to sob and cry. Van quickly hugs his brother and holds onto him as he cries for their mother. Van continues to hold him trying to calm him down and comfort him with the new pain. After an hour Van realizes Roxas has fallen asleep and picks him up, "Shit... You're heavier than I remember." Van slowly moves towards the stairs and slowly climbs them " He huffs as climbs the last few steps "I think I need to work out more soon. If I want to do this after your next birthday... or before your next growth spurt happens" Van gets to Roxas's and Sora's room and tucks Roxas in, sits down next to him for a bit, and pushes Roxas's hair out of his eyes. "there you go Rox... Get some rest bud, you deserve it..." Van gets up and turns off the light and closes the door after making sure Roxas's star nightlight was on.