Chapter 1: 30 Minutes or Less

ACT 1

... 10:36 PM... Friday...

Inside the garage of South Crest's Pizzeria on a cool winter night, a young man, ROY THOMAS: a black, athletic - average height, 17-year-old, with short braids wearing the pizzeria's delivery uniform. The delivery uniform is designed like NASCAR overalls with white being the base color and yellow as the secondary color for the lines and trims. The logo of the restaurant sits on the right peck of the suit and Roy's name tag on the left one. Roy stands outside his delivery car, a white 2005 Volvo S60 that's decorated like a NASCAR, with a checkered flag decal and the logo of the restaurant plastered around it.

One of Roy's co-workers sits in the car, Moss McKenzie: Caucasian, scrawny 17-year-old, five foot six with a mini curly-afro dyed dark green. Moss wears the alternative restaurant uniform: a yellow polo shirt that is different from everyone else's shirt because he has MECH printed on the back of his shirt and instead of wearing tan khakis he wears tan cargo pants, so he can carry his small tools and gadgets.

Moss climbs out of the car with a tablet in his hands. Roy follows Moss counterclockwise around his delivery car to double, well triple, checking that everything is running smoothly.

"The new hydraulics kit works great, even these cheaper breaks are good too, but they might last another month so go easy on them." Moss says while pointing with his foot to the passenger's front wheel.

"Gotcha," Roy responds.

"I know those new shock absorbers helped with those bad roads and dirt ones too, right?" Moss looks back at Roy, who nods in agreement.

"Great," Moss stops and kneels tapping the right rear tire, "oh yeah, these off-road tires are gonna be handy for those back road shortcuts you love." Moss continues.

"Yeah yeah," Roy responds dryly as Moss moves on to the rear of the car.

"Oh yeah, that new Magnaflow muffler will make your car sound as quiet as a mouse in the suburbs."

"That's good, I won't have to deal with parents complaining about me waking their crying babies." Roy says while making air quotes, but Moss doesn't turn around to see them.

They finally make it back to the open driver door, when Moss sticks his head inside checking the interior." Roy calls out to Moss, but he doesn't pay him no mind.

"Okay Moss, I think we're done checking. The car runs fine," Roy says as he pulls his friend from the car.

"No, the car can't just run fine. It must run at its top peak performance because if..." Roy cuts Moss off.

"Calm down, look, you've been working on this car all week and I believe in your mechanic skills buddy. And this car already got me from point A to point B within 30 minutes or less these past four days. So, stop worrying it's gonna be good for my last run tonight." Roy places a reassuring hand on Moss's shoulder.

A moment later another delivery car, similar to Roy's, drifts across the asphalt. The tires screech across the black top into the garage, a beautiful young lady in the same uniform as Roy steps out of the car whipping her blonde braids over her shoulder. The young lady is PEARL JACKSON, black, average built, five foot eight - 17-year-old. Pearl walks up to Roy and Moss, "Hi, second metal and pit monkey," she says with a wicked smile.

"I just finished my fourth successful delivery to your what..." She snaps her finger as if she was trying to remember the answer, "Oh right, one and a half," she says in an overly sweet bragging way.

"Hey, those deliveries had unseeable variables and it was two and a half for your information." Roy snaps back at Pearl.

Pearl rolls her eyes before responding, "All I hear are excuses. I'm gonna leave you losers, so I can talk to the boss man 'bout getting a more skillful mechanic cuz pit monkey ain't doing it. Byeee." Pearl says as she walks through the side door into the restaurant like she was a model on a runway.