Chapter 23: The Confinement- Part 1

Day 1

The clock in the hotel suite tick... tick... ticked away the seconds, making the silence feel hollow. L sat on the couch with three screens before him, his eyes darting among them with a lowered brow. Mogi, Aizawa, and Matsuda all sat in some chairs nearby, all staring and caught up in their own thoughts. Watari and Bean were out for the day.

Only a few hours ago, Light Yagami had announced with weighted shoulders and a hung head that he suspected himself to subconsciously be Kira, and he volunteered to be placed under voluntary confinement. Devastated by the very idea, Soichiro also requested to be preventatively locked up, claiming that he may do something rash in his emotional state.

And so now, L had before him three screens displaying surveillance footage of each of his three detainees.

The atmosphere in the room was indeed rather grim.

**********

Day 7

L stared intently with wide eyes at the ashen face of Light Yagami, whose entire demeanor had just visibly shifted. The calm yet determined look in the teen's slender, brown eyes had been abruptly replaced by one of bewildered desperation.

Something very similar had happened with Misa about a week ago. L could have sworn he saw a lock of her hair independently move...

What the hell is going on?

**********

Day 10

Bean stood in the doorway of his room, a long box held in his hands. He'd suddenly gotten the notion to ask his Papa to do a puzzle with him, but standing here now, he was having second thoughts.

He's working... he's always working.

Looking down at the colorful cardboard box, he dragged his teeth over his bottom lip before turning to go put it back.

**********

Day 15

Matsuda almost tripped over the carpet as he burst into the room. "What's going on!? I just heard two week's worth of criminals were just murdered all at once!"

"Yeah..." Aizawa muttered. "Kira's back."

"So did you guys tell the Chief yet?" Matsuda eagerly stepped up to his colleagues.

"No, not yet-"

Aizawa was cut off when the younger officer grabbed the microphone, much to L's annoyed scowling, and pressed the button for Soichiro's cell.

"Sir! Kira has started killing again!" He delivered the morbid news rather joyfully.

Soichiro looked up quickly, his eyes bleary and his face unshaven. "What??"

Matsuda was grinning as he gripped the mic stand in his excitement. "It looks like Kira was only resting. But now he's started punishing criminals again!"

"Is that true, Matsuda?" Soichiro pressed. "Then, that means... my son..." He shook his head, daring to hope. "I- I shouldn't be happy that people have been killed, but... at least Light's name will finally be cleared-" He stopped himself. "...no," he sighed. "Knowing Ryuzaki, this won't enough to clear him."