2 | Coffee Shop

Sienna

The door creaked open as I peered into the dimly lit room. This was the first time I had ever been to a coffee shop here, and it looked so beautiful inside.

The sweet smell of coffee hit my nose, and I breathed slowly, smiling to myself. I took a few steps inside, away from the pouring rain threatening to come in. The door closed quietly behind me, banging against the frame, slightly shaking as it did.

I rubbed my hands together in an attempt to try and warm them up but it hardly worked. Another family came excitedly through the door behind me, making me jump. They apologized as the woman and man smiled at me, dragging their child to the counter.

The shop was very noisy, people going on with their business. Two women sat in one corner and from the way they were dangerously glancing around the room, I knew they must have been talking in a hushed tone about something secretive.

On second glance, I saw a few people sitting alone typing furiously on their keyboards. Some looked like they were still in college or high school, probably still trying to cram in the last of their assignments before Monday.

That's the only good thing that's come out moving schools. I don't have any summer assignments. Lucky me.

That's probably the only good thing that comes out of it though because I don't have any friends either.

I blinked slowly as I trotted up to the counter, my eyes darting across the menu board. My mom had told me to come to the shopping centre near our house so I could look around and explore. Nothing in the shopping centre interested me though, but when I was walking back home I noticed this small coffee shop. It looked nice enough, and it's not like I have anywhere else to go anyway - It's practically a war scene out there.

Plus my mother won't be expecting me home for at least another half hour.

"Hi, what can I get you?" The man across the counter grumbled. His blonde hair fell over his dark blue eyes. An emotionless expression resting on his face. He looked to be about my age but he was a taller then me and a lot more muscular.

I will admit he was very handsome, but he wasn't my type. I don't like blonde boys.

He tapped his fingers on the wood, his other hand hovering over the computer.

"Can I get..." My eyes flashed across the menu again. He grunted in response to how slow I was being.

"We have customer's waiting, ma'am." He mumbled.

I glared right at him.

"I am a customer". I stated, trying to sound as rude as possible.

He looked at me in a sarcastic way. "Oh really? Didn't notice".

"I'll take a medium caramel latte. Oh, and can I get a brownie as well?" I smiled sweetly after I said this in a very sickly sarcastic tone.

His fingers tapped across the screen quickly and then printed out a receipt from the machine. "Stay here".

"I didn't specify whether I want to eat in or take out my drink".

"You must be delusional if your going outside in this whether." He said walking away.

Not going to lie, he had a point. It was raining cats and dogs out there. Hah, I liked that phrase.

Less than a minute later he re-appeared with my caramel latte in hand with the brownie in another.

***

Almost all the seats in the shop were full except one in the right corner, a two seater.

I placed my coat on one of the chairs so nobody could sit there - I really wasn't in the mood for any interactions right now.

I sighed as I sat myself down on the chair on the other side. My fingers curled around the glass, taking a sip as I leaned back in my chair. My phone told me the time was 5 minutes to 4pm.

I plugged in my earphones to my phone, the screen lighting up as I turned on my Spotify playlist. Then I placed it back down of the table again as I finished my coffee. People around me continued conversations, the sounds of the clashing of cups and plates drowning through the noise.

My gaze turned out the window. The rain was now slightly calmer, but it was still trying to smash against the window as hard as it could. Dark clouds secluded the street as people in restaurants across the road where served with their food, some giving out bills to the waiters and other enjoying their meals.

Some people walked down the road or hid under peoples front porches as they waited for it to die down. I saw a girl running with her laptop, shielding it from getting wet as she dashed down the main road.

I took another sip of my drink enjoying the comfort of being inside and savouring the drink.

Caramel latte's are the way to go.

I opened my phone, checking through my messages. I had two new messages from my best-friend Nikola, back in my old school.

Hey Tamara, how's it going? Your mom said that you start school this Monday. 

Text me back as soon as you can! 

-Sent 3:27PM

My fingers flew across the screen as I typed a response.

Hey Nikola! It's going good, just pretty boring though. I went yesterday morning with my mom to see the principal. I've got my locker key now and he told me which class I have to go to on Monday morning or whatever. He gave my mom a timetable too and all the essentials I'll need. I am so not excited to start school though. How's it going over there?

-Delivered 4:13

Not even a minute after putting my phone down, I hear it beep again. I picked it up, watching how the 'delivered' turned to 'read' as her icon popped up with the typing symbol.  I closed the app, watching a few notifications pop up. I wasn't in the mood to text right now,

I'll answer her messages later.

The rain had now mostly cleared up and I decided it was probably a good idea to start heading back, in case it started raining again. I can't wait until I can finally get a car this year, walking is such a misery. I'll have to wait a while though because I only turn 18 in May.

I say a thank you to the man at the counter. He doesn't respond at stares right past me at someone else as if so don't exist.

Asshole.

***

By the time I get home it's almost half past 4. "Mom, Dad?" I yell through the house. Boxes are still stacked up in the living room, papers, books, toys, furniture, decorations and everything else you could possibly think of.

"Ah, sveiki Tamara!" My dad smiles, walking down the stairs in his slippers. "Can you unpack everything in your room please honey, me and your mother have been trying to do some unpacking in our room too. We want to make your sure your rooms all done so it doesn't distract you from your studies when school starts."

I walk around him nodding in understanding as I climbed up the steps. "Oh, and don't forget, dinner in 20 minutes! His voice became distant as I walked further.

Although I didn't want to admit it, my room here was most definitely nicer. And bigger too.

At the top of the stairs a few boxes sat in front of my room. I kicked them out of the way, dust flying everywhere as I pushed the door handle open, walking in.

I slumped down onto the mattress on the floor, spreading out my arms and legs. It'd been two weeks and I still hadn't put my bed frame together because I couldn't be bothered.

That should be my life motto. Hah.

I knew I would have to do it at some point though, I couldn't just sleep on a mattress for the rest of the year.

I threw my coat onto the floor, turning over on the mattress.