Gift For A Hero

Milo ate his burger and fries, famished from the many days of crackers and other small snacks that he could gain from their broken stove kitchen. The only working thing was a small microwave that their father recently bought in the Christmas sale from last year, Milo sighed at the thought of their father only putting on their tiny new present and smiled; it was a pair of red rain boots to match their magenta silk cape or in a realistic perspective, it was a silk blanket. They strike a small superman pose as they slipped on a ghost baby's drool and the culprit that only stared at them from the other side of the bed, they frowned and put the baby under their bed to avoid its drool and got ready for another night of restlessness. The night fell shortly after and it was time to lie down and "sleep", it was already midnight. Milo sat in bed in a daze thinking about the next day and what things could be brought. "Waah, what if Charles doesn't come to school!" He whispered cheerfully with a nice star in their eyes at the thought of it. Sherry didn't wish to break their cheerful spirit but said in a sad tone "Don't you think that's a little too optimistic, Charles is always at school, Milo" Milo realized that their idea was rather silly, pouting at the thought of another knuckle sandwich. Milo leaned over to reach for their bag only to be snatched by the wrist onto the ground. They grunted and saw a man, not a light reflecting in his eyes but the skin half black and half tan. Milo panicked as they kicked and scratched the man back under the bed, the man grunted and began to grumble in protest to the kicking and whimpers that ushered from the child. "Wait, I'm just trying to warn you kid." He grumbled as he came out and dusted himself off. "Look kid, I just need to warn you, stay away from the woods. You'll see things with that eye of yours. If anything that little eye is gonna bring you nothing but trouble." He grumbled as he went towards the window. "What are you talking about, who are you, and how do you know about my vision?" Milo stumbled on their words, as they stood on their knees, looking up at the weird man. The man only gave a reply and went out the window without another word, it shook milo's head to think about it. "We all know." Milo's eyes widened, seeing the man disappear from the window into the abyss of the night was a strange thing but not to mention that milo didn't even hear the grass or trash cans at the bottom. Milo was confused and went back to what they were doing, crawling to the bag that was standing against the nightstand. Milo reached in the front pocket to find the cold handkerchief that Charles gave them. Milo had so many thoughts racing through their head that they laid onto the ground to think about it all, even then they could still not understand what was it all about. 'Why had Charles given them something to clean up with? Did Charles care about them, would things eventually stop?' the questions had no real answers but just hypotheses on what could be. Sherry had watched the scene unfold and managed to hide into the lamps bulb, she came and floated to her human friend. "Are you alright? Did it hurt?" She asked in a panicked voice, Milo could only lie there staring at the ceiling and the cracks inside of it. Milo looked at Sherry a few moments later, glossy-eyed as they hugged her the best way you could hug air, Sherry could only sit there and nudge them. The feeling of seeing your only friend cry was a painful feeling that could only be helped with actions if only you could reach and hold them as your life depended on it; as if the world would crumble under your feet and the last thing that could fix it was a forgivable hug. Sherry held the child as the feeling of the warm tears dripped through her and onto the ground where the only sound that could be heard was from the room. Milo wept in silence as they sat down, sniffling and wiping their face with the handkerchief. Milo turned only to see the jawless girl from before, she climbed over to him and pointed at the red boots near the tiny shoebox. Milo went over to them and put them on, feeling a boost of contentment and happy feelings in their belly. It was like an ache of butterflies with a slight feeling after eating your favorite food as it melted on your tongue. The feeling was not only happiness but a bit of over-the-top confusion. They sat there quietly and looked up at Sherry, who also was confused about the new ora she was feeling around Milo. Milo had a fear in their brain as they gulped, opening their mouth to speak, "Sherry, these boots feel strange." They murmured. "I can feel it too, milo. What's with those boots, they have a feeling of their own.." Sherry replied with a slight hesitation for the second sentence.