because you are always fine

Toge doesn't have a backstory so I gave him one

also meet this character of mine that I dreamed up one night and thought - why don't I write about her?

dw, this will probably be my only oc. im not a fan of writing ocs in fan fiction tbh. this also probably has a ton of errors cuz I just wrote it and published it without rereading it, sorry

Toge sits on his knees, hands twisting his silk kimono as he looked forward at his sister. Koe is strong, as always, chin high and proud, wearing her favorite light blue kimono. It reminds me of the water! Toge recalls her saying when she first received it from their father.

Toge notices her fingers trembling in her lap. The whole clan has gathered around, filling the large room, each in their most expensive clothes, murmuring in excitement.

After all, very few Inumakis lately were inheriting the gift of cursed speech. So when Koe began showing signs that she may be able to utilize cursed energy, the family pounced upon the opportunity. Toge's sister stares at the old man before her - the clan leader - as he lit his index finger aflame with blue fire.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the gift of cursed speech, soon to be bestowed on the eldest daughter of the Inumaki clan."

Cheers. Toge, however, remains transfixed on Koe, noticing the way his brave sister - afraid of nothing - seemed to wilt underneath the expectations of everyone.

The clan leader turns towards Koe again, placing his burning finger against her cheeks, burning marks into both sides. Horrified, Toge wants to lunge forward, but he found himself glued to the oiled wooden floors. Koe clenches her hands into fists, but showed no sign of resistance. A target symbol is branded onto both cheeks. But the old man doesn't stop there. 

After both cheeks are done, Koe opens her mouth, and the old man begins to brand her tongue.

Koe screams inaudibly. Toge, however, can do nothing to help, even as his sister looked desperately his way.

But...

Koe can't. She can't. But she has to.

The clan leader, satisfied, removes his finger from her flesh, and Koe collapses, her hands in front of her to stop her head from crashing into the floor. Blood - horrible, it makes Toge feel faint - floods from her throat, staining the floor red. Tears and blood and misery and pain are plastered all over Koe's delicate features.

But Koe, strong as she is, gets back up. She is not strong physically - she is fragile, in fact, like a glass. Easily broken. But mentally, she is stronger than anyone Toge has ever known. She is fine, always fine. It's not a claim, it's fact. I'll be fine.

This is only one short moment, one short burst of pain. Life is a long tread, but all you have to do is endure. Pain never lasts forever. So I'll be fine, Toge, okay? Don't worry about your older sister.

The old man is pleased at this. Everyone cheers as Koe brushes the blood slowly dribbling from her mouth away. 

"Inumaki Koe.

Are you willing to uphold the family?"

Koe can only nod.

There is drinks, there is wine, there is chatter. The old man leaves Koe where she sits, and despite the warmth of the room and the cheer, Toge still can't move, simply staring at her.

While everyone around her is celebrating, when she thinks no one is looking, she coughs, silencing herself. 

Coughs some more, forces herself to swallow down the blood.