"And thus the heart will break, yet brokenly live on."

Part 3: Lust

What is a human being without passion?

Beauty and love are connected in many ways. We are attracted to the things we find beautiful and desire that which is attractive. But love doesn't always have to be part of the equation. Sometimes it's an intense longing, a craving so deep you can feel it in your bones. Call it hedonistic, but it isn't always as bad as people make it out to be. After all, what's wrong with wanting to feel good?

Belladonna Lacivia. That's my name. Well...not exactly. It was my stage name back when I was a human. It hasn't been that long since I died but I've always had horrible memory so I wouldn't be able to tell you my actual name even if I wanted to.

"Bell, the chief needs you in the conference room!"

"Coming!"

It was just my luck that I ended up working as the chief's secretary. He's a handsome man. I like him because he always gives me what I want.

"Ah, there they are." He looked up from the desk and smiled when he saw me come in.

His smile was never warm like that of a lover's. It was always devious and calculating, but I was captivated by it.

"You needed me, Mr. Asmodeus?"

"Yes, we need you to settle a matter for us. As you know, the departments of Greed and Envy depend on our succubi and incubi to instill desire in people. However, there has been an increase in cases of individuals who lack the sexual drive needed for them to do their jobs. We were just discussing other options with which we could influence them. You were human not too long ago, what's your opinion on the matter?"

"Hmm..." The others seated around the table grumbled, clearly not happy to see me, but Asmodeus kept his eyes fixed on me. "Our Succubi and Incubi are talented when it comes to drawing out sexual desire, but as you said, not everybody is into that. But they appear to people in the form of whoever it is they desire most right? It doesn't have to be a romantic or sexual partner. What do most people want?

A friend?

Family?

Instead of assuming what they want is sex, why don't we train them to figure out what exactly the individual lusts after the most?"

Asmodeus tapped his chin. "Hmm...sounds reasonable. We just have to draw out their longing for other things yes? That's simple enough. It should work well with the folks over in the Greed and Envy department too."

One of the managers piped up. "NONSENSE! If we forsake our policies then what will become of the department of Lust?"

"But it's not like we're doing that for everyone right? It's just the people who don't seem to have any sexual desires."

The managers bickered amongst themselves like children. Asmodeus tapped on the table, clearly getting bored. His eyes travelled up towards me. His lips curved into a smirk when he locked eyes with me. Reaching out, he gently pulled on my fingers, guiding me to sit down on his lap. The feeling of his lips idly kissing along my shoulders lit a fire in me that was becoming increasingly difficult to extinguish.

I melted against him, unable to resist. Everyone was too busy arguing to notice us anyway....everyone except for one person. One particular manager sat still, eyes focused so intently on us, that I thought he was going to melt a hole in my head.

Valentino.

Oh, how he despised me. I learned this rather early on in my employment here. He was as cruel and selfish as Asmodeus himself. Of course, this quickly earned Valentino a place as one of his favourites. Asmodeus was a charming man and he always knew how to get what he wanted. He was the object of desire for many, but unfortunately for them, one person was never enough to satisfy him. When I was taken in and immediately became his personal secretary, it didn't sit well with a lot of people. Most of them knew not to mess with his pets, but Valentino was different.