Chapter 13

Griffin

For the first time, I was glad I didn't get to see Wulfric's face that day in the woods.

He looked like someone out of an ancient painting, too perfect to be real. His pale skin was free of blemishes or wrinkles of any kind except the faintest hint of laugh lines. His dark hair was in disarray, but instead of looking sloppy, it looked hot. Bedroom hair: that's how I would describe it. His irises were dark, too, with just a hint of red. That had to be his vampirism showing through, I realized with a shiver. But instead of disturbing me, all I felt was excitement.

And the way he was looking at me was like something out of a fantasy. He looked a little awed, but mostly, his expression betrayed an obvious attraction to me. And I, being as sexually driven as I was, had a hard time not responding to that kind of attention from my mate.

I had been intentionally holding my breath, since I knew his scent might mess with my head from this close up and I wanted a chance to make first impressions. Once I really took in his beauty, I acknowledged that a scent couldn't make me want someone more when I already needed so badly, and I took in a deep breath.

I was an idiot.

His scent was dizzyingly strong, and it took all of my self-control to not launch myself at him right here. He would be receptive, I knew. There was no mistaking that heat in his eyes, and it would feel so, so good to give in and watch it ignite. But that wasn't what I wanted out of our meeting. If we jumped right into a carnal relationship, how was that any different from the series of one-night stands I had been trying to quit? Still, it was tempting.

I was still trying to decide whether to throw myself at him when he reached for me. He wasn't reaching out to start anything sexual. No, he seemed to be going in for a handshake, I realized with a burst of amusement. Was he always so formal? If so, he was in for a rude awakening with me.

If he even wants me, a small voice in my head cut through.

I intertwined our fingers, and the sensation of him holding onto me even this little bit was enough to soothe the awful, insecure part of myself. At least for now.

"Hi," I said, wanting to laugh a little at how silly it was that we still needed to introduce ourselves after everything. By all rights, we should have been shacking up by now. I should barely be able to walk after we spent days holed up together, carrying out my every perverted fantasy.

But no. We were stuck on introductions and hand-holding. Though, it did feel nice. Tingly and safe.

Wulfric's eyes swept down my body and a shiver ran through me at the heat in his eyes.

There was a funny moment where Safiya teased him into letting me into the house, and I was happy to stack on more teasing as I finally stepped closer to him for just a moment to pass through the threshold.

There were more people here than I imagined, which was stupid since I knew that three witches lived here and that Wulfric and his brother were staying here together. In fact, there were only two witches and an unfamiliar man who had to be the brother – so, less of a crowd than it could have been. Still, I wished we were alone.

Releasing Wulfric's hand was surprisingly easy with all these eyes watching us, especially the brother's. I was too intimidated to really look at him. Fen had made it sound like Wulfric's brother was a really important figure in Wulfric's life. If he didn't approve of me, I was happier not knowing for now.

Glenna and Safiya were familiar to me, though I hadn't seen them often or recently. Growing up, Safiya had been my favorite because she would slip me little magical toys and candies when my parents weren't looking. Now, I was equally grateful for Glenna's steadying presence. She had this way about her that made you feel like, no matter what, you'd be alright. Her smile was serene and welcoming, and she pointed to a little spread of goodies and steaming mugs on the dining room table.