Chapter 22

Griffin

Two weeks had passed since Wulfric offered me immortality, and I still hadn't made a decision. Wulfric seemed like he was genuinely fine with giving me time. His father, John, however...

Well, John was a pushy man. I didn't know much about him, but I had figured out that much. Wulfric tried telling him we needed more time, and Wulfric might as well not have spoken at all. I listened in on their phone call in increasing agitation while John talked Wulfric in circles.

"I must return home soon, and I want to make sure everything is in place before I go. I fail to see how meeting with your witches to discuss the spell in any way puts pressure on Griffin," John said. He sounded stern, like he was almost out of patience for a wayward child who had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar one times too many.

"Have you always been so lacking in compassion?" Wulfric asked. I wasn't sure whether he meant it rhetorically or not.

"You came to me for help," John replied. "Would you like to rescind your request? Or will you allow me to help you?"

Wulfric looked about ready to pull out his hair at this point. Their conversation had been going on for all of five minutes, and I never knew such a short amount of time could feel so long. "No, I still want your help."

"Good. So, you'll schedule the meeting?"

Wulfric paused, looking at me with pleading eyes. I shrugged. I had no idea how to argue with a brick wall, and I'm pretty sure a wall would have been easier to sway than Wulfric's father.

When Wulfric didn't answer immediately, John added, "I have a flight booked for tomorrow afternoon. If we can't meet today, I will delay my flight, if that is what you need."

It was interesting, how he made him staying in town longer sound like the helpful thing to do when I knew better. It was actually more of a threat. Wulfric was uncomfortable around his father, and there was an old resentment there I didn't completely understand yet. He didn't want the man hanging around any longer than he had to, at least not right now. I pulled out my phone and opened a new text conversation to type out "Just do it," and held out the screen so Wulfric could see.

He sighed, but did as I said. "Let me see if everyone is available this evening. I will text you a time and address."

"Very good," John said, and I despised the satisfaction he didn't bother masking from his tone. "I'll see you later then."

Wulfric ended the call and looked up at me helplessly. If I hadn't overheard the whole thing, I might have been angry with Wulfric for giving in. Instead, I completely understood.

"Your dad is kind of an asshole," I said.

He stared at the device in his hand and I imagined I could hear him wondering what had just happened. "I apologize. I should have held my ground. I don't want these plans to make you feel pressured."

"They won't," I said, though I wasn't totally sure if that was true. I was a real sucker for peer pressure. Always had been.

"You have only to say the word, and I will call the whole thing off," Wulfric promised. I had been hearing similar platitudes for days now, and I didn't understand why he felt the need to keep pushing them on me. It was a nice sentiment, don't get me wrong, but I already knew how Wulfric felt. He wanted me to be immortal, but he was leaving the choice to me. Great. Got it. The amount of reassurance he gave me that it was my choice had crossed the line from sweet and sincere into something murkier. It was almost like he felt like he had to say it to remind himself, or like he was saying it to ease his own guilt. Guilt over what, I wasn't sure, but that was the vibe I was getting.