Chapter 6 (That terrible morning)

"Naina tum yaha kya kar rahi ho itni tez barrish mein." He inquired, still clutching her hands tightly.

"Kartik... Tum yaha," She expressed her perplexity.

"Tum chalo meri car mein beth jao. Mujhe bhi college hi jana hai." He was concerned about her safety.

"Nhi koi baat nhi Kartik. Main... Main chali jaungi." She replied with a little phony smile, looking into his eyes.

"Naina hum dost hai aur waise bhi maine tumse pucha nhi, order diya hai. Okay?" He took her right hand in his and walked towards the car.
After a moment, She sat in the car, accepting her defeat, while Kartik on the other side gave her a winning grin.

He got in his car and began driving towards the campus.
In the car, there was a full deafening silence. Naina was constantly fiddling with her wet dress, because it was the first time she had ever sat in a car with a boy, all alone. She was continuously praying and frightened about what would happen if a member of her family saw her with a male. Her temples began to sweat even in this freezing environment.
Kartik, on the other hand, pretended to be focused on the road while secretly staring at Naina out of the corner of his eyes. He noticed her fumbling with her clothing and so he turned on the car radio to bring the atmosphere back to normal.
But, to Naina's amazement, when Kartik turned on the radio, the first song played was the most romantic song from the film Aashiqui. Her pupils dilated, and her anxiety level rose.

"I-I am so-sorry Naina. Woh galti se lag gaya yeh gana. Main abhi change kar deta hoon."

He changed the tune half-heartedly, yet the next song was also romantic. He was terrified because he was worried about what Naina would think of him. As a result, he modified the tune yet more, yet the next song was also romantic. He had no other choice except to turn off the radio.

Naina's cheeks were bright red. She looked out the window, embarrassed, unable to face Kartik.

In the car, there was utter silence once more, but this time it was uncomfortable.
Kartik was concerned because he thought that maybe Naina was thinking about what kind of jerk he was.
As a result, he shifted the conversation's focus, breaking the silence.

"Naina," he said softly, his gaze falling on her turned figure.
She shifted her gaze to him and raised her brows in a perplexed manner.

"Tum pehle waha akeli kya kar rahi thi itni tez baarish mein?"

"Woh actually... Aaj main jaldi nikal gayi thi college ke liye, but mujhe koi auto rickshaw mil hi nhi raha tha toh main chal kar ja rahi thi. But achanak se tez baarish hone lagi." She finished her sentence with a sigh.

"Are akeli kyun chali gayi thi...tumhe pata hai na ki bahaar akele kitna dangerous ho sakta hai." It worried him, he said.

He drew closer to her, but kept a safe distance between them.

"Agar tum chaho toh tumhe akele ane ki zarurat nahi hai. Main tumhe roz pick karne a sakta hoon." He said it softly, almost in hushed tones.

Naina looked down, embarrassed, after hearing his statement, and her cheeks turned a reddish color.
Kartik chuckled at her reaction and returned his attention to the road.

They arrived at the college after a few minutes.
Kartik parked his car with care in the parking lot. He unbuckled his seatbelt and was about to exit the vehicle when he turned around and saw Naina peacefully asleep on the passenger seat. While sleeping, she was even cuter. Her face was covered in hair dangs.
Kartik drew closer to her and gently slid a strand of her hair behind her ear, brushing against her fairy face.

Naina felt someone's fingers on her cheek even when she was sleeping. She opened her eyes wide and found Kartik closer to her.
She became terrified and enraged at the same time on Kartik. She immediately got out of his car and began sprinting towards the college. However, the rain continued to fall, and she became drenched once more.