A Scarf

🍂Lily🍂

I truly do not care what James Potter thinks.

Or at least that's what I tell myself as I wait nervously at the platform. My Gryffindor scarf wrapped firmly around my neck, I adjust it awkwardly. Wrapping it specifically to conceal the dark purple marks scattered across my neck. It's a hot day, Merlin! It's august and I'm wearing this ridiculous scarf.

"I love you Lils but this attempt at fashion..." A loud voice, I instantly recognize as Marlene calls over my shoulder. Her hands gesturing my gold and red scarf. "Wow, it's been two months and you greet me with an insult?" I say with a mock-offended expression."I missed you too Marls!" I deadpan as I wrap her in a hug.
"How was your summer.. Head girl???" She questions excitedly over my shoulder.
Her vice like grip around my arms tugs on my scarf, exposing the marks. She pauses as her eyes scan my neck. "No way. No way!" She mouths as she pulls away from the hug. "I guess the Head girl's summer was good!" She bellows. "Shush!" I say, punching her shoulder. I nervously adjust the scarf, making sure to cover the marks. "Couldn't you have covered it with makeup?" She reasons. "Petunia wouldn't let me borrow any, and mine won't cover it." I say, remembering the most recent screaming match I had with my beloved sister. The fights between Petunia and I had gotten worse, attempting to "borrow" her makeup was the final straw. The whole neighbourhood heard the argument, even Sev- Severus tried to send me a stupid owl to ask about the yelling.

"If Potter sees the marks he'd prolly cry, that'd make for an entertaining start of our 6th year." She says with a grin. "Which is why I'm wearing the scarf, Marls." I say gesturing to it. "He's totally gonna notice" she retorts. "He won't!" I exclaim. "Please Lily, he notices everything about you, no way he won't notice the scarf." She says gently.

"Who'd you snog Evans?" A voice yells over to us. Marlene gives me that 'I told you so' look. Sirius approaches  an amused look on his face. Remus walks beside him a few books in hand. He swats Sirius across the arm. "Shut it Padfoot!" He mutters, gesturing his head down the platform towards James and his family. Who were luckily just out of earshot. "Right, shit! Sorry Moony." He shrugs with a wink, causing Remus to blush. "We don't want Prongs getting upset." Remus says a little flustered. "I'll keep my mouth shut." Sirius smirks. "That'd be a first" Marlene chuckles. "Says the biggest gossip in our house." Sirius retorts, folding his arms. "Don't the muggles have that saying 'Takes one to know one'" Marlene says with a smirk.

🦌 James 🦌

"See you at Christmas!" I call over my shoulder at my parents. "Love you!" My Mum yells, "Write lots! I didn't buy that owl for nothing!" My Dad adds with a grin.
I wave one last time, and make my way towards my friends up the platform.

Once I reach them, I can tell somethings off. Sirius and Marlene are never this quiet..did someone like..die? "Hey James!" Sirius says with a smile. Something is very, very wrong. Sirius didn't call me Prongs. I scan the circle of people, trying to figure out what happened. Everything seems pretty normal, but then my eyes land on Evans. Evans, who's wearing a wool scarf in the middle of august.

I can tell everyone's waiting for a reaction, expecting a huge drama. I wrack my brain on what to say, something that isn't weird. After a few seconds of uncomfortable silence I say "Congrats on Head girl Evans" exaggerating my smile. Everyone simultaneously lets out a breath. "Thanks, Congrats to you on becoming Head boy." She says sweetly, her eyes scanning my face. "So how was everyone's summer's?" I question, pulling my gaze from her to my mates. As everyone takes turns discussing their past few months, I try to focus. But the words seem to slip by.