Chapter Four

The temperature had dropped significantly during the time Uhtred and I had been outside. I've had formed on the grass below our feet, creating a light shimmer from the moons light. The small brightness from the reflected ice was enough for me to see the dane before me. His eyes were the first thing I had noticed. The blue was brought out my his long brown hair that sat against his shoulder. His short beard was just enough to define his sharp jawline. It was hard to admit, but the dane was handsome. They way Christian's had described northmen, I half expected Uhtred to be a two headed, soulless monster.

We were standing closer then before. I could feel his warmth radiating off his body, but the cold wind made me shiver once again.

"You look cold my lady. Maybe You should return to the hall." Uhtred had said with a concerning tone.

"You are avoiding my question." I huffed.

"Fine." He breathed, placing both his hands on his hips.

That was easy. I was surprised I didn't have to put up much of a fight.

"Alfred had received a letter a fortnight ago about a threat"

"See, that wasn't so hard" I smirked. I had felt somewhat relieved to finally know what was going on. But realisation hit fast once I had fully processed what lord Uhtred had said.

"A threat!"

"Yes my lady."

"By who!?"

"We don't know." He answered regretfully, avoiding my eyes. He did not seem to have like not knowing.

I was becoming confused from trying to think who would send the threat. I had made no enemies, nor offended anyone. However, I was distracted by Uhtred clearing his throat, breaking the awkward silence that I had unintentionally created.

"What did the letter say?"

"What's with all the questions?" He breathed out a laugh.

"If there is something going on that involves me, I want to know everything. So, are you going to tell me what was said in the letter, or do I have to hunt it down myself?" It wasn't much of a threat. That was clear by the amused face from Uhtred.

"Well?" I pushed on.

"The letter had stated their intentions of breaking your betrothal. If Alfred didn't go through with it, Wessex has gained powerful enemy. He couldn't take the chance, so he sent us."

"A dane to help the Saxons?"

"I have sworn to serve King Alfred and Wessex." He answered sorrowfully. It was clear by is tone and expression that he did not enter this agreement willingly.

"I admire that" I smiled. "Not many people can keep their word." The memory of my father confessing the near betrothal I had with lord Maurice had re-emerged.

Maybe being married to Edward wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Are you well my lady?" Uhtred observed my silence.

"Very well my lord." I replied while shaking my head. "Just thinking"

"About the threat?"

"That was part of it."

Uhtred stepped even closer, leaving only the the clouds smoke from our breaths and his warmth.

"I want you to know, I will do everything in power to deliver you safely to Wessex my lady."

However, I was to distracted by his eyes once more to pay any attention to what he had said. And it seemed it wasn't just me as he stared deeply into mine.

"Delphine!" My brother called.

Uhtred stumbled away from me, making a bigger space between us and I was cold once again. Leon figure appeared, walking closer and closer until he had reached my side.

"Delphine, I've been looking everywhere for you. Lord Uhtred?" Leon frowned, squinting his eyes.

"Lord Leon." Uhtred bowed his head.

"What are you both doing out here?" He asked, looking between us constantly.

"I just got overwhelmed by everything. I had to leave. Uhtred wanted to know if I was well."

Uhtred smiled innocently to Leon. This, however, didn't reassure him.

"Very well." I could see Leon become more cautious with Uhtred presence. "Delphine." He turned to me. "I think it is best if you retire for the night. You have a busy day tomorrow and you need to be well rested."

"I couldn't agree more dear brother." I smiled. "Thank you for your company lord Uhtred." I curtsied. "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

Taking Leon's arm he lead me back to the entrance of the garden. I took the small chance to look behind me. However, Uhtred was no where to be seen. 

**

My thoughts drifted to the time I had spent with lord Uhtred. There was something about him that intrigued me. He didn't act like most men I have had the pleasure of meeting. Uhtred seemed to be more genuine.

"How was your evening my lady?" Celine asked while helping me prepare for bed. She had just come back from seeing her family before leaving for Wessex. I had asked her to remain in Normandy but she had refused. For that, I couldn't thank you enough. Being in a foreign country, I wouldn't know anyone, so selfishly I was pleased she was coming with me.

"Could of been better. What about you though? How was your family?"

"They are very well, thank you my lady. It was nice to spend time with them" She grinned widely. "They wish you the best on your marriage."

"You must give them my thanks when you write to them."

"Of course my lady."

Celine finished undoing my hair, letting my loose black curls fall against my back and stopping at my waist. I had dressed into my nightdress earlier. A simple white linen dress reaching the floor.

"Is there anything else you want my lady before I get you your wine?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes my lady." Celine answered

"What is it like to love?"

"Love?" Celina questioned with a shocked expression.

"If I am to be Edward's wife, I want to know what love would feel like." I would have asked my mother this question, but it seemed pointless. My parents relationship was not based on love. That was clear to see. The only information I gathered was from my Leon and Marie. But looking at love is not the same as experiencing it yourself.

"Sorry my lady, I wouldn't know."

I had become a little disappointed from the answer.

"But my mother told me that true love is something that you experience once in your life." Celine started. "You would know what true love is like when can't picture your life with out them. Yes, there will be obstacles, but that's what makes it special."

"Thank you." I smiled.

She curtsied and left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Such words made me think. Will ever I be lucky enough to love?. And if I do grow to love Edward, will he feel the same?

Then, loud bang startled me. Waiting for a few moments no other sound happened. Curiosity got the beat of me. Standing, I slowly made way towards the door.

"Celine? Is that you?" I called.

No answer.

Suddenly, my chamber door swung open with so much force, it broke of the hinges. I crouched down, expecting someone to charge straight for me. But it never happened. Instead, Celine's shadow covered the floor. Looking up, Celine was standing so very still, she looked like a statue.

"Celine?"

She stumbled forward, clutching her stomach. The crimson colour of blood seeped through her dress.

She had been stabbed.

"CELINE!"