Chapter 39

W I N T E R

I won't rush into making any decisions.

I breathed as I slowly walked down the stairs.

"Winter?" My moms voice echoed through the living room.

"Mom!" A gigantic grin spread across my face as I sprinted towards her.

"I didn't know you were visiting today honey." My mom smiled as she pulled me into a hug.

A hug from my mother was needed. Only the sweet scent of her perfume made my mood brighter and put my heart at ease reassuring me that everything would be fine. I wrapped my hands around her and hugged her tighter.

"I didn't think you'd be home." I answered her.

"I wasn't. I just came to get something quickly but I'm glad I came." She released me from the hug.

"I'm glad you came too." My face brightened by only seeing her smile.

"Sit down let's talk!" She squealed but then she pouted. "Or are you in a hurry?" She added and I shook my head.

"Thank you so much for the gift. I loved it! Your dad and I were thinking of coming over to your house for the New Year's Eve."  She gushed.

They want to come over New Year's Eve? They can't.

"Oh I don't think it's a good idea." I nervously brushed it off.

"Why not? Your dad hasn't been to your house before and so we thought maybe it would be a great idea." Mom insisted.

"Leo's busy and chances are that he might not even be home because they need him at the hospital." I lied.

"Being a doctor is so difficult! Imagine not having to spend time with your family during the holidays." She shook her head.

"I know right." I nervously chuckled.

"Your dad was wondering when you'd like to return to the company. He won't say it but I'm sure he's missing you."

"Immediately after the holidays. I've been home since the wedding and I think I've had enough. I literally have so much time on my hands and now I don't know what to do."

My mom chuckled.

"Listen honey, I know you agreed to this wedding because we kind of forced you but if you ever feel like you aren't happy there then you can always come back to us." My mom's expression turned serious.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm happy over there with Leo."

"I'm glad because that was all your dad and I wanted. You seem happier now and you seem like the old you."

My mom's glowing face made me remember what Rachel told me earlier. Was I so engrossed with Damian's memory that they were all so worried about me?

Of course I know I was with all the panic attacks I got at random times but I didn't know they all thought it to be so serious.

I plopped on my bed with a sigh and ran my hand through my blonde hair.

The house seemed so quiet without Leo here to argue with.

Am I truly ready to restart life?

"Yes!" A part of me screamed. "You deserve it, you've mourned long enough and Leo is also an amazing person." My inner conscience reasoned.

"No." Another part of me yelled. "You can't so easily forget that someone young and full of life died protecting you." The other argued.

I groaned in frustration as I still couldn't figure out what I wanted. Why is it so difficult? My phone buzzed and it caught my attention.