2.

•••

•••

The queen of England was known for her extravagant balls, captivating soirees, and her exquisite choice of debutantes. Evelyn was excited on behalf of her elder sister. She knew she had wished for this day for many years and it had finally arrived. Daphne Bridgerton was to debut in society. 

The ride to the palace was enjoyable. Evelyn had always enjoyed the relaxing nature of a carriage ride however the notion of being able to ride on a horse had always intrigued her. She'd never had the chance to attempt horseback riding, unlike her older brothers who had been taught since they were young.

As the carriage approached the queen's palace, Evelyn could sense her mother's stress grow.  It was an understandable feeling, seeing as her eldest daughter was not only about to be presented in front of the queen but to the whole of the ton. The fact that the woman's eldest child, Anthony, was nowhere to be seen did not help matters. 

"Anthony! You are here!" Daphne exclaimed. Making her way out of the carriage. The gems encrusted on her gown glowed as they caught the sun.

"Of course I am here Sister!" the eldest replied. A tight, but genuine smile plastered upon his face. 

"I'd never miss such an important day for you and our family!"

"No, you'd just be late for it" Violet commented with a slight annoyance in her tone. It was an understandable annoyance on her behalf, especially with Anthony's common disappearances and lateness only becoming ever more frequent. 

Evelyn smirked after hearing her mother's snarky comment. Happy that her mother had vocalised the same thought that she had herself. 

Anthony held his arm out to Daphne, confidently ignoring the comment as well as the smirks emerging from his siblings. "Shall we?"

...

Hundreds of expecting debutantes filled the palace halls. Evelyn, along with the rest of her brothers and sisters made their way to the main hall whilst their mother and Daphne stayed behind, waiting to be announced.  

"Do you think this'll last much longer?" Eloise whispered as she leaned her head towards Evelyn and her brothers.

"Well, I expect-"

"Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Philipa Featherington, and Miss Penelope Featherington... all presented by their mother, the Right Honourable Lady Featherington."

The three Featherington girls made their way through the hall, closely followed by their mother. Evelyn was surprised that she didn't catch the back of the girl's shoes, considering the fact that she was breathing down their necks. They all wore matching, white and yellow coloured gowns. It was clear that the girls had no say in the choice of their gowns. Evelyn knew this as a fact, as she was a close friend of the youngest Featherington girl, Penelope. The girl had conveyed many times over the dislike for her mother's taste in fashions. 

The Featherington girls' display was far from exemplary. Prudence Featherington fainting at the queen's feet would be talked about for many weeks to come. 

"And finally, Miss Daphne Bridgerton, presented by her mother the Right Honourable, the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton"

Daphne looked beautiful. She walked gracefully down the hall with a gentle smile upon her face. The detailed tailoring etched upon her dress was only enhancing her natural beauty. Evelyn couldn't help but smile as she watched her sister walk towards the queen. 

Her smile only grew sider as she watched the queen make her way over to Daphne. call her "flawless" and proceed to place a gentle kiss of approval upon her forehead. 

•••

short chapter!! (I probably could have added this to the first chapter but here we are ahah)

Again, a reminder that this is more of a draft and is most likely going to be edited at some point!!)

i appreciate you for reading my silly little story :) 

thanks! - m