It Was All A Lie?

Of course, the Bad Guys were immediately put under arrest. When no one was looking, however, I snuck into the police van. I just had to know what was going on.

"You're making a mistake!" Wolf pleaded as the chief pushed him towards the van. "We didn't do it! I know we always say that, but this time it's actually true! Talk to Marmalade! We're really good now! He'll tell you! Professor!"

Once the doors were shut and everyone was in, I began my questioning.

"Guys, what the heck happened?!" I asked.

"We didn't do it, Gabi!" Piranha insisted. "We just wanted the Golden Dolphin, not the butt-rock!"

"What?!" I exclaimed in disbelief.

"Dude!" Shark yelled.

"What? I was just telling her our true intentions so she would trust us," he said.

"This was all a trick?" I said quietly.

"Look, Gabi," said Wolf, "we're sorry we lied..."

"We are?" asked Snake.

"-but we didn't steal the meteorite! Believe us!"

"I don't know what to believe," I replied, feeling betrayed. Suddenly, the doors opened and Marmalade stepped in.

"Ah, Professor Marmalade!" Wolf sighed in relief.

"You got five minutes, Professor. No deals this time!" the chief warned him, slamming the doors.

"Sir, there's something you need to know," I tried to tell him.

"Not now, Gabriela," he said, disregarding me yet again.

"You have to help us," Wolf begged. "Tell them. Tell them we didn't do it!"

"There, there. Of course you didn't do it," Marmalade assured Wolf, patting his paw gently. "How could you? After all, you're such a good boy!"

"But sir, they're criminals! They always will be!" I argued. "They were gonna try to steal the Golden Dolphin again! They confessed everything to me! How could you possibly still think there's good in them?!"

"You..." Wolf gasped with wide eyes. "It was all you!"

"What are you talking about, Wolf?" Webs asked.

"What's he talking about?" I asked Marmalade.

"The old lady, the Golden Dolphin, good training... It was all to get us here so he could steal the meteorite and let us take the fall!"

"Whoa, whoa. What old lady?" Snake asked. "And why would a guinea pig want a meteorite anyway?"

Then, we all heard a sinister chuckle and saw Marmalade facing away from us with his paws against the doors. The fur on his head became much more ruffled.

"Sir, I thought you said to only laugh when appropriate," I pointed out with worry.

"Uh, guys?" Shark said nervously. "He's creeping me out."

"Wait, what?" Piranha asked, trying to turn himself around as he dangled from the ceiling. "What's going on?! Someone turn me around!"

"Well, well," Marmalade said, scratching the doors with his claws before turning to face us with an evil glare. "So, you finally get it!"

"WHAT?!" we all exclaimed.

"You stole the meteorite?!" Shark asked.

"Oh, it's not just a meteorite," Marmalade admitted.

"I told you guys it's a butt!" Piranha said.

"It's not a butt!" Marmalade spat. He took a deep breath before explaining everything. "It's the ultimate power source. You see, when it struck, scientists found it emitted an electromagnetic frequency unlike anything else on Earth. I'm going to harness its power to pull off the greatest heist the world has ever seen!"