-Chapter Four-

-Val-

Dusting and getting some stuff unpacked after the move. I decided to put on some music and opened up the living room window. Can never go wrong with classic 90s I started dancing to the beat and continued to move to the beat. There were so many boxes I hadn't seen in years and one I wasn't ready to open. I took the medium-sized box and placed it in the hall closet.

I heard some loud laughing coming from the front yard and part of me didn't care but the other thought that maybe it was the Dino girl... I peaked out and could see her getting into a blue jeep with a couple. She looked like she was maybe 5'2 in height. I couldn't see her face but she has long hair that was dyed blue. I watched her close the back door and watch her look towards my house with a confused face. I pulled away from the window and smiled a bit. She was very cute and had a heartwarming smile.
I shook my head and sighed. This was the first time anyone has caught my eye and all I wanted to do was talk to and cuddle her.
I don't know why but it was like an instinct or something like it was a craving. I hadn't even met this girl and just the sound of her voice when she was singing got to me. I decided to text Helen and invite her over to pick my brain over dinner. I needed to figure out what this meant. After she accepted I went to the kitchen to get started on ideas for dinner.

So what do you think? I sighed before taking a sip of my wine.

Am I a friend or a therapist in this situation? Helen said with a smirk.

Both. I said hopefully.

I don't know Val. In my personal opinion as your friend. I think you are still grieving. There isn't a time limit on it. What happened changed your whole world and it's hard to recover from it.

This girl is bringing out a side of you that you locked away when Melanie passed.   So the friend in me would say it makes sense.. now on the other hand as a therapist that is never wrong *she said with a wink* I think this girl is bringing out a part of you that has been trapped and might be a healthy thing for you.  You said she is around the age Mel would have been. I think she might help you get through this but you can't force something she is a minor and well you can't act on these thoughts.   But you can learn from this and maybe see if it helps bring you to a place to get some closure.  What you have brought up to me is some good progress and I think after some sessions we can start to make more good progress but it will take some time.

*I took in both of Helen's opinions but didn't like the answers she gave me. I needed to do some research and figure this out.  Figure out what I wanted and how to continue feeling this way. *
*I tried to put that at the back of my mind for now and continue the visit with Helen.*

Thanks, Helen. I appreciated the brain pick.  I said in a tone that I thought might let us move on from the conversation.

No problem hun you know I got your back.  So have you decided if you are going to go back to work full time? I know you said you financially didn't have to but I know you like to keep busy. It might be good.

Oh,  yea I'm still thinking about it. I have decided to just do some house stuff.  I guess you could say I'm kind of taking an extended leave of absence. The hospital said they would take me back in an instant.
Robert Grady contacted me the day after I got back into town. He wants me to take over as the head of pediatrics. I told him I'd think about it. 
I said with a sigh. 
I knew I wasn't going to go back. I worked in California and when I decided to come back it was to relax and work on myself and take time away from work. 
We continued with the evening chatting about what was happening in her life and just enjoying the company.

-Emilia-
After tacos, we went to see Erica.  I knew she was ready to pounce on me about the party and as per usual she did it as soon as I got in the room.

So are we going to play at the party on Friday night? Erica said while batting her lashes

Yes of course. I said while pinching her cheek how could I everrrrrrr say no to you babe. I said with a small eye roll.

Duhhh You can't. She said in an exaggerated tone. 

We enjoyed the night by playing a few tunes and chatting about everything and anything. Most of the topic tonight tho was about Tyler my ex and his constant need to contact everyone in my friend's group about me dumping him. I rolled y eyes so much I thought they were going to roll out... I  also kept thinking about the neighbour's house. Wondering if I should go introduce myself or just leave it.   I looked at my watch and noticed it was already almost 10:00. 
Well guys it's been fantastic but I'm so ready for bed I yawned.   I could hear Jodi giggle. Okay guys I guess we will get this baby home *she said with a wink*
I lighting slapped her and rolled my eyes. Yea well you guys always complain about being tired.. did you ever think maybe you should go to bed at a decent time? 

We left shortly after and the drive home was quick and painless I couldn't wait to get to bed and cuddle with my teddy bear.. l  was finally home. I said my goodnight and headed inside. I watched as the blue jeep drove off when I got to my door. I went fishing my keys out of my pocket when I quickly realized they weren't there. I patted every pocket I had and I couldn't find them. Freezing in fear I tried to think about where I last had them.  I thought hard and realized I left them on the bathroom sink at Erica's I groaned as I walked around the house in search of the little grey fake rock that was hidden next to the turtle statue...

I hadn't realized I was making so much noise until I felt my eyes burn from a flashlight hitting my eyes.
Who's out there? The voice was calm and soothing but also sounded strong in a way.

Shit, I whispered. Oh umm hi I'm your neighbour. I just forgot my house keys...
My name is Emelia.

I put my hand in front of my face to block the light. I could see it shining away from my face as the woman started to speak.

Oh sorry about that. I didn't mean to go all crazy neighbour. I just thought someone might be breaking into your yard. My name is Valerie... But you can call me Val.
She said in her smooth tone. It was a voice I figured anyone would feel safe hearing.

Here I could shine the light a little if it'd help you find what you are looking for? She said as she walked closer to the fence line.

Yes, please! I said graciously.

We finally found the secret rock. And as I was about to say thanks for the help she caught me off guard.

I was wondering if you and your family would like to join me for dinner? Perhaps I could also meet your parents. I make the best lasagna on the east coast. She said with a laugh.