fly home.

young, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, he wakes up to another day in which he must face the struggle of  this newfound hustle and bustle. he ruffles his freshly-dyed blond hair (a part of his 'new look'), and checked his phone for messages from his manager on what to bring on today's trip. this was his life now: no more simplicity, hanging out with friends, privacy, being a 'normal' 17 year old; but it was traded away for him to follow his dreams of being a musician.

"you wanna make it big, kid?" the large man with a clipboard told him. "tell your friend you'll see him in another life. this is what you have to do."

he sits on the plane, looking out of the window. he recalls his first time riding a plane; it wasn't very long ago, but it seemed like ages ago now that he's rode many times since. he remembered looking out the window and being so hopeful; so ready for the journey ahead of him. it never donned on him that being so high on the air can cause one to be homesick for a place they can't even truly recognize.

-

he lays his head down on a pillow in a hotel room alone, his now brown locks cascading across it. tomorrow was the big day; the day he would speak with the representative from a new company. but not only that, it was also his brother's birthday. he would be missing it, again. his manager did not bat an eye when he expressed his desire to attend his birthday party, saying work comes first and reminding him that he agreed to this. thus, he board another plane.

this time, the ride is much more determined. he knows now that he has a purpose. he is sacrificing many things he cares about in order to pursue this music career, and thus he must do everything he does to the best of his ability. he realizes he is on his own, and that it is his responsibility all on his shoulders.

-

the days pass, turning into weeks and turning into years. he grows older, traveling becomes second nature to him. his friends and family back home are merely voices over sound waves to him now, and has hair went across the rainbow from brown to blond to silver to black.

-

as he sits in the terminal waiting for his next flight, he thinks back on that fateful day when he finally met a manager, and the feeling of his dreams coming into fruition was settling his. bittersweet nostalgia fills him as he recalls telling his parents and kids at school he would be a successful musician, being laughed at; and promising that he'll prove it to them.

he sits in his spot on the plane and the window that has greeted him all those years before waves hello once again. he smiles at it, peering out as he lets his palm rest upon its cool glass. he's in the air again, the merry go round spins before him. he struggles with his inner conscious trying to decide whether all of the years he's spent yearning, hoping, wishing, and crying were taken from him or rewarded to him. when people see him, they only see the good in his success and none of the heartache.

however, right before the loneliness of never truly having a home settles in, he realizes that everywhere is his home as long as he is doing what he loves. it may seem as though he is lost at sea, but being free does not always have to be a prison; and not long now, everyone will see.

just as this thought hits him, a bird flies by his window. he smiles.