IS LOVE REALLY UNREQUITED?

John discarded his attire and changed into his nightclothes. The fire was burning bright, curtains drawn up, and his room spic and span. Not one thing out of place, well, basically he didn't own too many things in the first place. His room hence looked too spacious and meagre.

His room was his dorm in the entire mill house. It was where he rested for a few hours after a long day of hard work. Basically, there was not much difference in terms of work between him and his hands. While other mill masters simply toured their mill every day and let all responsibilities be taken care of by the overseers, John would take up any work that he knew to do. If at one point he stood supervising his mill from the iron platform like a king, the next minute he would diligently discard his coat and get under the machines to check the engines to see if anything is remiss. Other mills had workers trained for each and every work no matter how trivial or tough it might be.

John didn't become a mill master in a day. No, it was not handed over to him by his ancestors as was the case with other mill masters. He was first a draper, then a hand in the exact same mill he worked in, became an overseer in just two years, and then a master. He never did anything without dedication and interest. He never forgot what he learned.

His room was his true home, to be honest. It was here that he could think freely without any disturbance. Yet, during all these years, despite his success and position, he felt empty. It was only during his time at the mill that he felt concentrated. But the minute he returned to his room, he felt something was missing. He always felt a part of him felt incomplete, but he knew not what. His mother suggested it was the lack of a partner. But John found that it was education that he lacked. John was a man of brains yet actual education was snatched away from him due to grave circumstances. It was then that he decided to pursue education, not economics or science, subjects that were useful to run his mill. No. He wanted to learn something that would satiate his soul, something about the literary and the artistic.

That was when he consulted Mr. Bell. He never liked his landowner, but he knew he was good in his judgments. Mr. Bell's greatest resource was not his wealth but the number of connections he had. He would always tease and pay witty retorts to John, always interfering in his and his affairs. Yet, Mr. Bell helped him a great deal in business by recommending Marlborough Mills to several of his contacts. He never told this to John and neither did John show his awareness about the same to him. But he was grateful to him.

"So you wish to continue your studies Thornton? That's interesting; though I am pretty sure Mrs. Thornton might see the classics as a waste of time. Why, she would rather suggest that you continue studying 'The Times' and 'The Daily Courant', haha!"

"Why Bell, do you suggest that I wake up every morning and read Romeo and Juliet before going to my mill?" John retorted curtly.

"Come now Thornton, we both know that classic isn't the one for an unromantic like you. Now that you want me to suggest you a tutor I do know a significant person. He's my best friend named Hale. Although, he lives in Helstone."

"Helstone? Surely, you don't expect me to travel to the country to study. No, that will not be feasible. Suggest me someone you know from Milton."

"Calm down, I am not asking you to travel to Helstone. Hale is a rector there. He wishes to give up his rectory due to a sudden lack of faith. He is a great academic and now wishes to travel up north and become a tutor. I suggested Milton to him. He is quite unaware of the ways of this place, the typical countryman that he is."

"I might be of some help if you wish."

"Exactly. I am required in Oxford for the yearly meeting of the education committee. Hence, I want you to get them settled here. Show him a few properties to choose from and once he gets adjusted, you can start getting tutored."