THANK YOU, BUT I SHALL WALK ALONE

The morning arrived with profound opportunities to rise and shine. In Marlborough Mills, Mrs. Thornton and her son were already on the breakfast table. The sombre mood of yesternight hadn't perished entirely. The Thorntons were used to their gloomy lives, but this monstrous silence and implied sadness drove Mrs. Thornton to madness.

She was not able to see her son so sorrowful. In the past sixteen years, she had never seen him so dull and moody. The mill was his life but now, a woman claimed his mind and soul. No, she had to do something soon, or lest, she lost her only son to irreparable depression.

"John", she called out timidly yet with an edge.

"Yes mother", came the immediate reply.

Mrs. Thornton took a deep breath. She composed herself and determined that she cannot spoil the conversation yet again. She said-

"I apologize for what I said yesterday night. No, I don't care about your position as much as I care for you as a mother should. I hope you know that."

"Of course, I do. As I said, it's only you who cares about me in this whole world. It will be only you."

"But still, you aren't happy, my son."

John looked back at her before resigning to reading the paper.

"Look John, stop pretending to read the paper. I don't know when they will turn to flames by your stare. Enough now, I have to tell you something. I was thinking quite for some time yesterday night and came to a suggestion..."

"If your suggestion includes the Latimers or any other family, then please keep it to yourself, mother."

"Ah, there, you see, won't let me speak! I apologized for that too. I know she will not make you happy. What I wanted to suggest is entirely different."

"Continue."

"You see, Mrs. Hale had suggested that I be a good friend and guide to Margaret after her death. I reluctantly agreed because this whole town knows Miss Hale is a woman guided by her own conscience. Yet, I promised her mother, so I cannot give up on it."

"I agree, although I do understand that you and she might not be too good a company. But then you can try being of any help you can, that is, only if Miss Hale is interested in such an offer of friendship."

"Yes. But I am afraid I already had a bad start on that score."

"What? Why, please explain? Did you try talking to her?"

"Yes, I did. I went to see her after that incident in Outwood."

Mrs. Thornton need not tell the rest for John immediately understood what would have occurred. Flying barbs would have been put forth by both women and ultimately, his mother would have accepted defeat.

"There, John. Don't think the unthinkable. Yes, you thought right though. She spoke as haughty as she always did. But I do think I did her a disservice. I wish to remedy that."

Now, this was quite a shock to John. It was how near his mother could go to give an apology and ask for forgiveness.

"And how would you do that?"

"By meeting her often, inviting her to tea at home. Now that Fanny is not here anymore, Miss Hale can freely come without any tension of hearing about draperies, gowns, and fashion. I wish to let her know that I am always there for counsel and guidance, even if that toffee-nosed uppish woman hardly needs one! I don't know what subjects I could talk to her about, but I might try."

Mr. Thornton nearly laughed. This morning, he saw a new change in his mother. Just yesterday morning she had called her improper and snobbish. Even now, she continued to do so. But she wanted to be her confidante. If not be her husband, Mr. Thornton would at least rejoice in her presence at his home. That should be enough for his aching heart to frame memories and imagination."