𝑶𝒏𝒆

September 1976,
Laws Forbid It

Grimmauld Place was quieter than usual, in fact, the whole summer was quieter, Regulus listened for the House-Elf as he made his way slowly around the house, cleaning whatever he could. Now there was less mess to clean up, as his older brother Sirius, decided to abandon him, and run away to the Potters. He rolled his eyes as Kreacher knocked lightly on the door.

"Master Regulus, you need to leave in an hour,"

"Fine," he said, getting dressed, he had already packed his trunk for Hogwarts the night before,

He walked through King's Cross Station, hoping he didn't see Sirius, he was angry at him, and the last thing his mother would approve of was causing a big scene. He avoided many people sitting at the opposite end of the train to where Sirius and his friends sat, he was soon joined by his friend Barty Crouch.

While Barty talked throughout the journey, Regulus hardly paid any attention, as soon as they arrived, Regulus decided to skip dinner and head out to the lake. Trying to clear his mind 'this year is going to be hell,' he thought, he couldn't avoid Sirius forever he would have to face him at some point, he looked out onto the lake, the moonlight glistening on the water relaxed his mind.

He knew what kind of creatures laid below the water's surface, Grindylows, Mermaids and the Giant Squid, he saw the Giant Squid regular as it often swam near the Slytherin common room. He heard rustling in the bushes behind him, he drew out his wand, red sparks were fired in his direction, followed by laughter.

"Not funny, Avery,"

"Oh cheer up, Black," he said, pocketing his wand as he walked towards Regulus, "What are you doing out here anyway?"

"I wasn't hungry," he said,

"I heard about your brother-

"Who hasn't," he interrupted "mother made it very clear he wasn't a part of the family anymore,"

"Are you going to talk to him?"

"Why should I? I wasn't even a concern when he left, never thought to say goodbye, or leave a letter or anything,"

"He was your brother though,"

Regulus hated the word was he had heard too many times, Andromeda was his cousin, Sirius was his brother. It all meant that they were in the past, and his mother expected him not to associate with either of them. As he looked out onto the lake, he saw something dive below the surface, he narrowed his eyes, hoping to see if he could see it again.

"Did you see that?" he asked

"See what?"

"I saw something, it looked like a person,"

"Okay, you need sleep, there's no people down there, just ugly mermaids and vicious Grindylows,"

"I swear I saw something," Avery look in the same direction that Regulus were he couldn't see anything.

***

"That was close he almost saw me,"

The creature swam down to the bottom of the lake, they pushed the rock aside, swimming through to their home. Looking around many of them resides in a secret part of the lake, that even the headmaster didn't know existed. Darting through the water faster than usual, they arrive at their home, awaiting the punishment they would receive.

"Tamara! What have I told you about going to the surface,"

"Nobody saw me, I don't see what the problem is," she answered, running her finger through her hair.

"But someone could have, Hogwarts children are back, now is the time to lay low," as the older creature swam towards her door.

"I heard him," she said, "I feel his pain it calls to me,"

"That may be child, but we don't interfere with wizards, our laws forbid it,"

"Them laws are stupid and outdated, mother you should understand that," she said, knowing that her mother was waiting outside

"Yes, I do, but I agree with my sister, wizards have brought nothing but trouble to our kind, using our blood and tears for their potions, it's not a risk I would take,"

As her mother and aunt left her, she sat on the edge of her window, their home was fashioned out of old ship wreckage and rock. She could see everything from her window ledge, she dangled her tail off the edge, watching as it flowed with the current that pushed out towards the sea.

"That squid has gone to the wizards again," she heard two males from down below

"When will it learn," the two other them laughed as they swam away.

"Sorry mother I'm going to find out for myself if wizards are trouble," she spoke out loud as she pushed off the ledge of her window, swimming out of their secret community.

She looked all around for the Giant Squid, he shouldn't be too difficult to find she spotted a kelpie, that swam towards her at a great speed. She held her hand up halting the creature, she petted the animal, as it nuzzled into her side, she whispered in its ear, the kelpie swam away she follow close behind struggling to keep up.

"Thank you," she rested her head against the kelpies, as it swam away, she approached the Giant Squid cautiously, he was semi-domesticated but could still be very dangerous, she swam right up against the castle walls.

She looked through the window, she didn't recognise anything, everything looked so bizarre to her, strange rectangles on the walls, dark colours must have been how wizards decorated. The whole room looked scary, she saw many wizards, girls and boys, then she saw him, she could feel his pain, it called out to her, he looked tired like he hadn't slept in days.

She knew it would be dangerous to get too close to him, he didn't seem like the wizards that her mother and aunt warn her about. He was just a boy, scared and afraid. Of what she didn't know.

What could a wizard be afraid of?

She was going to find out.