𝑺𝒊𝒙

Underwater

Tamara had grown tired of Thaleia's constant rambling about Ervin, she snuck out in the early hours of the morning. She made her way to her uncle Orpheus, she needed to know the history between Sirens and Wizardkind.

She needed to know the truth, after meeting Regulus she questioned everything she had been taught about wizards. He was kind, understanding and curious, he wasn't cruel, manipulative or vicious like she had been raised to believe.

"Uncle Orpheus, it's your favourite niece," she announced, a siren not much younger than her father answered

"I can assure you I don't have a favourite, I love all my nieces," she smiled, hugging him tightly, as he guided her inside his home, "what do I owe the pleasure of your visit so early in the morning,"

"I was wondering if I could ask you about our history,"

"Of course, origins of any interest, maybe the change from man-eating to-

"Actually, I was curious about the history between Sirens and Wizards," he eyed her cautiously

"You want my knowledge on that subject?" he questioned, she nodded, "You must understand I have a different view to your father,"

"I know that's why I'm asking," he sighed

"Very well, some things are true, such as our tears and blood, they use it in a lot of their magic," she nodded understanding that, "There were good ones too that offered protection in exchange for guidance across the sea,"

"Is it possible to love them," she asked, he smiled

"Yes, they're many stories of love between a wizard and a siren,"

"Any happy ones," she asked praying that he could give her some hope.

"Unfortunately no, living in two different worlds makes it difficult,"

"But it is possible, right," he creased his brows,

"Is there something you wish to tell me," she shook her head "I won't say anything to your parents if you do,"

***

Regulus was glad to be back at Hogwarts the Christmas holidays weren't anything special to remember, with his mother's constant boasting about his success and Sirius' disgrace for abandoning the family. He assumed Tamara would be back from her trip, as soon as he finished his dinner he hurried to the lake.

"Tamara, I'm back," he thought hoping she'd hear him, he smiled when he saw the water shift

"Hi, how was your trip?" she smiled at him

"Boring honestly, why don't you come for a swim?" she asked

"You're joking right, it'll be freezing in there,"

"Oh, can't you warm up the water," he nodded, casting a heating charm on the water, he jumped into the water, swimming closer to her,

"Can you keep an eye out for Grindylows,"

"Sure, how long can you hold your breath underwater," she asked,

"I don't know, time me," she nodded he took a deep breath ducking under the water she ducked under, poking him, trying to make him laugh, he shook his head at her, he rose to the surface, slicking his hair back

"How long was that?"

"About 90 seconds,"

"Not bad," he said, not expecting to be under for a minute,

"There's a theory that a sirens kiss can grant a human the ability to breathe underwater," she told him, he smiled at her, "I'm not sure for how long though,"

"Shall we find out," he asked, she smiled.

"You want to kiss me," she teased,

"Yeah, for research purposes, prove a theory," she laughed, "and I like you,"

"You like me?"

"Yeah, I think you're really sweet, open-minded, and pretty," he smiled at her,

"I've met anyone like you, Regulus," she swam closer to him,

He brushed her hair behind her ear, he moved closer, the tips of his nose brushed against hers he pressed his lips against hers. Igniting a flame of desire, her skin tingled under his touch, as he grazed his fingers along her side. Feeling at peace, that cold lonely feeling had disappeared, warmth and security were what she felt with him.

As he pulled away he smiled at her, he was pulled under, Tamara hurried after him, seeing a Grindylow pulling his leg. She swam ahead, hitting the Grindylow with her tail, the creature let go swimming away, she held his hand, swimming back to the surface.

"Are you alright,"

"Yeah," he pulled his hand away, "I can breathe and talk," he looked up they were at least 4 metres underwater.

"I can't believe it worked," she said, he smiled at her, "I want to show you something," she held his hand, to help him keep up with her. She shifted a rock to the side, swimming through, she held her finger up to her mouth, signalling him to be quiet they hid behind a rock.

"There's so many of you," he whispered, looking down at the thriving community of Sirens.

"Yeah, you see them three down there," she pointed out to two sirens, he nodded "that's my sister Sybil, and husband Dorian, they've just had a baby," he smiled at the family.

"Can their baby swim?"

"A little, not very far, she has to carry her most places," she explained, "I should take you back," he nodded they swam back out the way they came.

"I'd say let's race, but that seems a little unfair," she laughed, as they neared the surface Regulus had to hold his breath, he emerged from the water, laying flat on the ground.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just need a minute," he said, she smiled at him "I've got a class, but I'll see you at the weekend," she nodded "Tamara," swam closer to the land, he leaned down lightly kissing her.

She smiled as he walked away, drying himself with the flick of his wand. She ducked under the water, swimming in circles, 'he kissed me,'. She twirled around coming to a halt when she spotted Orpheus, with his arms crossed at her.

"Is he why you asked me about wizards,"

"Did you follow me?"

"No, I spotted you leaving, with a creature that had two legs, now the only thing I know of that has legs are humans,"

"I can explain-

"I don't need you to explain, I need to meet him for myself,"

"What?"

"If I see him in person, I'll know what kind of wizard he is," she sighed,

"I'm supposed to be meeting him at the weekend,"

"Alright, I'll come with you," she nodded, "you're lucky I saw you and not someone else, it could have ended very badly, for him,"