"Back When We Were Kids"

A brisk wind blew through a brightly lit forest, the autumn leaves stirring up. A small child rushed through a small trail, his pint size sword carved of wood swinging through the air. Behind him, a slightly older boy raced to catch the child. A small giggle left the child's mouth as he glanced back at the boy, his antlered mask betraying nothing on his face. The older boy laughed and continued on with his chase. The child ran through the woods, his giggles echoing through the silence. The boy was getting ever closer, closing in on the child with his arms outstretched. When the child looked back again, the boy snatched him up and caught him almost by surprise. "Got you, you witch!" The boy bellowed, throwing the child up in the air. The child let out a sharp cry of laughter, his wooden sword falling to the ground.

"AHH! You've caught me, witch hunter! My terrible sorcery has been foiled!" The child did a dramatic gesture, the boy grinning in amusement. "And now I shall perish at your hands!" Going limp in the boy's arms, the child flopped in a mock death pose. The boy laughed, and held the limp form of his brother up into the air.

"Yes! Triumph over evil!" He raised the child higher and then brought him back down and set him on the ground. "Now, evil witch, you will die!" He shook the child's body, then tickled him and the child came to life in a fit of laughter.

"Stop! Stop! You've killed me, I'm defeated!" he laughed out, tears forming in his eyes. The boy's eyes glinted with humour, and he ceased his torment of the child.

"Alright, Philip! That's 10 catches for me and 3 escapes for you." The boy's mouth formed a grin, and Philip pouted.

"It's not my fault you're faster than me, Caleb! I can barely outrun you!" He kicked his tiny legs, his mask falling slightly down his face. The older boy sighed, then smiled at his younger brother, snatching the mask off.

"Okay, then, we can switch it up! I'll be the witch, and you'll be the witch hunter!" He placed the small mask upon his face, and picked up the sword. It fit well in his own hands, but he knew it was a bit awkward in Philip's. "Come and catch me, vile human!" Caleb set out at a brisk pace, his brother following not far behind him. He led Philip through a trail he knew quite well, one that would lead back to Gravesfield. He knew soon enough they'd have to get back home, so it was better to be close by instead of deep in the woods. Philip's small legs tore across the ground, and he knew he'd have to outwit his brother to catch him. That was the only way. Slyly, he veered off deeper into the forest, off the well trodden path. When the boy turned around to spy his brother, he realized the child had disappeared. Skidding to a halt, he peered around in a panic. Where had his little brother gone? Anxiety crept up through him, and he began to fidget with his hands. He knew the woods could be dangerous, full of wolves and bears and all sorts of beasts. He would've heard his brother call out in alarm, surely, if he'd been snatched by anything. He slid stealthily along the forest floor, hoping to not crunch a single leaf. Caleb cupped his shaking hands and brought them up to his mouth.

"Philip? Philip, where are you!?" he called out into the forest. He waited for a few moments and when no answer came back to him, he braced himself and walked further into the trees. The boy knew of a secret hideaway he had found for them to play in, but they weren't meant to go there without each other at the least. 'What if he's lost? What if I've lost him forever? Oh, uncle's going to kill me!' His thoughts were racing as he headed in deeper, towards the hideaway. A snapping branch to his left caught him off guard and he jumped in alarm. Was there a terrible beast following him? The boy quickened his pace, wanting to call out but was in fear to. His breath caught in his throat as the silence of the forest overcame him. Where was his brother? He continued on through the trees. Suddenly, something swung down from a tree branch right in front of him and flung itself into his chest, knocking the wooden mask off his head.