"Our Words Would Take Us Halfway 'Round the World"

Caleb was exhausted, sleep clinging to him like a bur. Something was shaking him, what was it? A tired haze was enveloping his mind and he didn't want to awaken. "Come on, get up!" He made a small sound in protest and the shaking continued. "Wake up, don't you know what day it is? Come on!" He turned away from the voice, hiding his head under his blankets. "If you don't get up, you'll miss out on my first hunt! And I can't be a proficient witch hunter without my most trusted companion!" Caleb groaned, and blinked his eyes open to the sight of Philip hanging over him. "Good morning, Mr. Wittebane." His brother flashed him a cocky grin, his hair curl flopping over. With a grumble, Caleb closed his eyes again. Then, the younger boy whisked himself away and proceeded to jump on his brother. The older boy let out a shout of surprise, as Philip landed on his chest.

"Oi! Get off, you great lump!" Caleb pushed his younger brother off of him with a hard shove, while Philip burst out laughing.

"Well, you're awake now, aren't you?" Philip stood up and brushed himself off. "Uncle wanted to start the hunt at sunrise." Philip's voice was full of mock annoyance. "But some of us didn't wake early enough." He shot a glare of false anger at his older brother, then smiled excitedly at him. "I can't believe we're going to go on our first hunt together! It's going to be just like we've always dreamed!" His eyes gleamed with the prospect of everything they'd planned together. The older boy rose off of his bed with a stretch and a yawn, then walked over to his wardrobe. He put on his hunting shirt and then paused for a moment.

"Philip, before we go on this hunt, I have something for you." Caleb reached down to the bottom of the wardrobe, where the family dagger lay. He found it tricky to use, so he'd swapped it a few times for an old knife he'd used to carve Philip's mask and wooden sword out of. Philip stood curiously behind him, anticipating his gift. The older boy grabbed the dagger by the handle, and looked at his reflection in its blade. "Now, I know this is supposed to be passed down to the next generation, but I thought it'd be appropriate to give this to you today." Philip's eyes widened, his mouth grinning with delight. He outstretched his hands to take the dagger. "You're a witch hunter today, Pip!" Caleb placed the knife into his brother's palms, and Philip almost looked like he might cry of joy.

"Are you sure? I mean, pa gave this to you." Philip's eyes glistened. "It's meant for the oldest Wittebane." Caleb gave his brother a reassuring smile.

"Of course I'm sure. It's mine to do with as I see fit, and now it's yours to do with what you will." Philip grabbed the handle and sheathed the dagger onto his belt. He embraced his brother, glee shining in his eyes.

"Thank you, thank you!" Happiness beamed off of the younger boy, and Caleb thought he might burst from it. "We'll be able to hunt witches so much more efficiently now that we're hunting together. I'm so excited for today!" He broke the embrace and then stood back a bit, smoothing out his new coat. Their aunt had stitched up a ragged one of their uncle's and Philip had been so pleased when he received it. "Do I look alright?" Philip gave his brother a look, imploring him to respond.

"Of course you do. You look just like a witch hunter." Philip puffed his chest out, trying to make himself look the part he was meant to be taking on, the one of a respected witch hunter. "We'd better hurry, now that we're ready uncle will want to head off." The older boy grabbed his brother's wrist and pulled him along excitedly. Their uncle was already prepared and waiting for them, fixing them with an annoyed look at the delay. The sun was gleaming down on them, and Caleb knew that today would go perfectly.

The hunters had all gathered on the outskirts of the forest at the west side of Gravesfield when the boys and their uncle joined them. Philip was beaming with excitement, Caleb noticed he was holding back leaping for joy. The hunters were itching to get the hunt on, but a part of the boy was anxious. He wouldn't be vocal about it, but he was hoping his uncle wasn't planning on using Philip as bait the same way he had been used during his first hunt. That's what had gotten him into trouble and he had to wait over a month to join the next hunt. He'd had fun during that time training with Philip and playing their game of witch hunt, though a part of him had been longing to prove himself to their uncle. He'd since been on many hunts and he thought himself quite skilled, even though he hadn't caught hordes of witches. Some of them always seemed to somehow get away at the last second. But, with Philip at his side now, he knew he they'd be unstoppable. They'd always worked better as a team, after all. Philip was pacing nervously next to him, an anxious frown creased on his face. Caleb had never seen him like this. Placing a hand on his shoulder in comfort, he looked down sympathetically at the younger boy.