𝗶. BOMBS ON MONDAY NIGHT

The highway was filled with parked cars and people struggling to cope with the mechanisms of what was occurring at the moment

The highway was filled with parked cars and people struggling to cope with the mechanisms of what was occurring at the moment. All they wanted was shelter, a place to stay due to the violent attacks in the cities. And people eating each other's faces off wasn't normal. It was something out of a comic book.

Betty's knee was nearly scratched by the top of car as she knelt onto the car for too long. She began to stand up and held her cell phone up in the air.

Her mother noticed this and looked at her daughter, confused. "Betty, what are you doing?" Lori questioned. "Trying to get a signal," Betty told. "Sucks ass."

"Language." Shane's head peeled out the window as he was trying to get the radio to work in the car to try and contact someone.

Betty scoffed and her phone beeped and Betty knelt down in defeat. "Phone's dead." She sighed.

Lori stood up and ushered her arm forwards towards her daughter. "Well, you might as well get down from the car." Betty sighed as she hopped off. "I thought we could reach someone, the radio isn't working and I thought this would be our only hope." Betty explained her reasoning.

Lori pulled a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear and gave her a hopeful smile. "I know, honey. Just leave it to the grownups, though. We'll think of somethin'." Betty walked toward her brother, who had been playing checkers with the girl he had made friends with in the other car.

Shane and Lori exchanged a look, both admiring the responsibilities that the teenager had been taking on since everything had happened. She was trying to do everything she could to help out. With her dad, the situation they were in. Betty knew she had to do something, for her family. Normally, Betty was a troublemaker so to see her in a new light was strange for Lori. Even Shane, since he had watched the girl grow up.

Betty looked around at the cars, none of them had moved. They were stuck on the highway, trying to find some way to preserve their time. As Betty watched the checker game go on, her stomach growled. The last thing she ate was a granola bar. And that was six hours ago.

Betty watched from a distance as Shane had been trying to reach someone for the last hour. Everyone in the area glanced over at the helicopter coming by. "Are we gonna go soon?" The girl that was playing checkers with Carl, who Betty learned was Sophia, looked towards her mother tiredly.

"I don't know, baby. I sure hope so." Her mother had short, grey hair and had a sorrowed expression on her face. Her name was Carol, she heard her mother and her trading introductions. Her husband, on the other hand, had the biggest bitch face Betty had ever seen. Just looking at him made her uncomfortable. He didn't say a word.